We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water temps and weather.

Which Port Vila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Water temps and weather.

At last I have booked 10 days at Breakas from 12 September. Is the weather the same as Fiji? I thought it would be around 28 degrees and the water temp @ 25, is this correct? Also how far is Breakas to the Port? Are taxis easy to arrange or is there a bus nearby?

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Water temps and weather.

Hi,

Yes the weather would be similar to Fiji as it is the tropics.Buses are like taxis but much cheaper. Walk a little down the road and look for the B on the number plate. Wave them down and they will take you anywhere you want to go. Breakers is about 7 mins from town and about 10 mins to the airport. Hope this helps and have a good trip.

Billy

vanuatu
Level Contributor
320 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Water temps and weather.

Generally September is regarded as one of the best times of year.

BUT it is the tropics, which means high rainfall at any time of year.

The water is at any time still great for swimming, snorkelling etc.

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water temps and weather.

Many thanks. As long as it's hot both in and out of the water, I will be happy.

Colleen

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water temps and weather.

Yes in June...the ocean water I found was about 25 degrees c...and perfect...However,our pool was at least 3-5 degrees cooler..??..I only went in our pool once but this is not to say it is unbearably cold....The pool is cool and refreshing...!!....However by September,should even be a degree or 2 warmer in the pool....

Does anybody know what temp the water is at Mele cascades...??...Never got there unfortunately...!!...

Bus rides are 150 vatu per person within city limits....

Melbourne
Level Contributor
564 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water temps and weather.

You'll be pleased to know that water is a very comfortable swimming temperature all year round.

Enjoy your trip!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water temps and weather.

Hi,

Cocotang, we went to the Cascades in March this year after a lot of rain, and the water temp there was refreshing, to put it lightly! So very beautiful, and definitely worth a visit and a swim as well. Take good walking footwear with non slip soles - I wore reef shoes and they were perfect.

Enjoy :)

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water temps and weather.

Hi,

Cocotang, we went to the Cascades in March this year after a lot of rain, and the water temp there was refreshing, to put it lightly! So very beautiful, and definitely worth a visit and a swim as well. Take good walking footwear with non slip soles - I wore reef shoes and they were perfect.

Enjoy :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Water temps and weather.

Thanks oldandhappy..That is doubly nice of you to tell me...LOL...!!...

However,March would be warmer than June I'd expect...??....

And refreshing sounds as tho' it can be quite cool....Definitely not warm as the ocean...!!...

Really sorry we missed the cascades...

I wore reef surf booties whilst surfing in Port Vila....

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water temps and weather.

Water in the cascades is from a natural source that partly, if not totally, emanates from an underground supply. Consequently, it is cold. It always will be cold. But on a really hot day that is a good thing.

Warmer pools are further down the cascades because they have had more time to wash over rocks and receive a little sunlight on the way.

My 70 something rellies enjoyed it so there is no excuse to pike :-)

Jen

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Water temps and weather.

Thanks Jen,Good explanation...!!...Even tho' I have been in Sydney for the last 30 odd years,I still haven't acclimatised....So me being a Townsville lad from way back loves warmish water....Tho' I can imagine how nice the cool water would be on a stinking hot day at the cascades....!!....