We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basic Accommodation in Port Vila

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
27 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Basic Accommodation in Port Vila

Hi Guys,

We have flights booked to arrive in Port Vila the day before Independence Day and stay in Vanuatu for 10 days. For the last few days we have booked into a resort for a bit of pampering but for the rest of the time we'd like to find somewhere in Port Vila that's simple and clean.

Since we plan on being out and about exploring everyday we don't need any frills. Following reviews on this site we've been looking at the Coral Motel to give you an idea of what we are after. Does anyone have any comments, or other accommodation ideas to look at?

We are also planning to add an overnight trip to Mt Yasur to our trip, can anyone recommend a good tour and whether these run 7 days a week? Or whether it's best just to plan and book the Tanna trip ourselves?

Getting excited now we are into the planning stage!!

Cheers!

Campbelltown...
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Basic Accommodation in Port Vila

Have a look at tradewinds. We have stayed there a few times. Cheap, always clean and self catering. Its about a 10 min walk into town from there. A room is about $100 a night.

Jody

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
27 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Basic Accommodation in Port Vila

Thanks Jody, this looks like just the type of place we are looking for.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
678 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Basic Accommodation in Port Vila

Hi

It sounds like your at the best fun, but serious stage of planning.

You can plan your trip to Tanna trip yourself simply by booking your own inter-island flights http://www.airvanuatu.com/home.aspx

Then book accommodation direct, or from

http://www.vanuatu-hotels.vu/

or

positiveearth.org/bungalows/TAFEA/tanna.htm

I would highly recommend at least 2nts on Tanna, it truly is a wonderful place, with lots to see and do besides the volcano. Then if the weather is bad the first night, you still have a second go at visiting Mt Yasur.

Use the search facility on Trip Advisor for heaps of past questions, advice, reviews and trip reports. It is expensive to get to Tanna, but I have never heard anyone say that it wasn't worth every cent.

Also use that Vanuatu hotels site for lots of ideas of places to stay in Port Vila. It's very good for checking the location, seeing photos and finding out what facilities are available. The people who operate that site are extremely helpful. Tradewinds certainly does look like a good option, but you might decide you want to stay on the water or in town.

Depending on how you decide to break up your time between PV and Tanna, it might be a good idea to only book the first few nights and then book the rest when you get the feel for the place. Personally, I would book the first 2 nights (incorporating Independence Day) right in town somewhere. That way you can buy whatever supplies you need for Tanna (ie. water and snacks), have a good look around town and be right in the action on Independence Day. Having said that, buses are so easy to get around as you've probably realised from reading previous posts.

For self contained and right in town, check out Hotel Olympic, and almost right in town...... Kaiviti Motel, The Melanesian.

Out of town and on the water......Seachange Lodge, Pacific Lagoon Apartments.

What resort are going to for your pampering?

Good luck and have fun planning

Kerry

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
27 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Basic Accommodation in Port Vila

Thanks for the info Kerry, all good to know. The link was very useful, and I've managed to spend most of the evening on it!

For sure the idea of booking the initial few days in the centre of Vila then looking around is a good one, we'd like to be around the town for Independence Day if there's any festivities to be seen? Then just see where we'd like to go from there. From your suggestions I do like the look of Hotel Olympic location-wise.

There's just so much that we'd like to do, but we're desperately trying not to fill up an itinerary as we'd like to leave time just to see what happens! If we don't see it all this time we'll just have to go back :)

We'll be spending the last part of the trip at Eratap, where hopefully we can relax away a more hectic start to the holiday.

Thanks again.

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
27 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Basic Accommodation in Port Vila

If you are planning on spending some time just chilling out beach side, then Nirvana Resort is lovely, quiet, secluded and relaxed. (also the best value for money, at $80-100 for a private bungalow with no one around.) Transport is easy as the owner heads into town every day and busses can take you back.

Island Magic is really nice, a little less private (just because they are busier), nicer rooms, but you really need a car rather than public transport.

The really cheap places are in Port Vila downtown and I'm just going to be frank: the less time you spend in Port Vila the better your holiday will be. OK?

I love Vanuatu (heck, I live here!), but Port Vila downtown is just awful. It smells shocking - pollution from a thousand unserviced busses running cheap diesel; it's messy and dirty etc. Don't get me wrong, it's not without charm, especially the market, but you just don't want to sleep there. The best way to do Port vila is to day trip in to the market and then sleep somewhere beautiful, preferably near the beach.

So it's worth spending a couple of $ more and not staying at those cheap places close to the city centre.

My 2 cents as a local.

simon

Blackheath...
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Basic Accommodation in Port Vila

Try Kaiviti, we just spent a week there. Self contained, reasonable price (but beds are uncomfortable) and only a 5minute walk into the main part of town. Room are spacious and location is perfect.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
27 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Basic Accommodation in Port Vila

Thanks Guys,

We are only planning on a couple of nights in the town as we were hoping there would be some festivities for Independence Day?? Not sure if this will be the case or not, but if so we'd like to be in the thick of it.

We are then heading to Tanna and back to a resort so will have plenty of beach time.

Had looked at Kaiviti following Kelly's suggestion above, but was a bit cautious over mixed reviews, would you say your experience was generally a good one?

Cheers.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Basic Accommodation in Port Vila

Have a look at Seachange Lodge. They have self contained studios, away from the main drag but still can walk into town, restaurants etc. They are about half way up the first lagoon and have aircon, wifi, pool etc.

cheers

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Basic Accommodation in Port Vila

I've stayed at Kaiviti, it's right next to the Melanesian. But it's been renovated since we stayed a number of years ago. We had really good service there even though it was very basic.

Have walked past it in the last couple of years including January this year, haven't looked at the latest reviews, but it would be better than the Melanesian which is in dire need of a renovation! Try the renovated rooms at the Kaiviti.

Good position close to town, bit of an uphill walk on the way back though. Close to the best Au Bon Marche supermarket, No 4 just up the road.

The Olympic is in town above shops, no pool, no balconies, IMO try the Kaiviti And yes they usually have events at Independance Park on the water at Port Vila on Independance Day.

Enjoy! LTB

Edited: 01 July 2011, 11:56
Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Basic Accommodation in Port Vila

Oops, Independence Park at the Harbour for festivities on 30 July.

DE Hindo may know exactly what will be organised. Perhaps a PM will get the answer.

I need a spell check on here!