We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port to Port Vila township

Which Port Vila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth Western...
Level Contributor
310 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Port to Port Vila township

We have a day in Port Vila after arriving on a ship. Is the township walking distance from the port or are there buses avalable. Is it possible to get a bus around the island and how much does it cost pp and how long does it take. Any info on what to do for the day would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

New Zealand
Level Contributor
212 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port to Port Vila township

Hi there, where the ship comes in, is in Port Vila town, but about a 5 min (max) bus ride from the centre of the township. The cruise ships seem to be greeted by a VERY long line of buses (or what we can vans in NZ) to take cruisers wherever they want to go to. I think Evergreen Tours are one of the main operators, and I would highly recommend them for a day trip around the island - they are a locally owned - read Ni-Van - and operated business. On cost I would be unsure, we had a private bus last year to go around the island and I think we paid about 12,000 or $120 AUD for the day. You would need to maximise your time on the bus around the island, as there are lots of very interesting places to stop and look. Cascade Falls / Klems Hill Lookout / Havannah Harbour / Bottle Man & Markets near Havannah Harbour / Hot pools near Emua Wharf / Eton Beach. You could walk into the township if you wanted, but don't expect nicely paved paths all the way, but it is quite an interesting walk - would take about 1/2 hr. There are market stalls set up immediately where the ship berths, so if you dont' want to go far, then you can buy things from the local Mammas there, but I'd suggest venturing further, so that you too can fall in love with this amazing country. Enjoy.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
91 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port to Port Vila township

There will be 1000's of taxi's/mini buses, jostling for your business as soon as you jump off the ship. You should pay no more than $10 per couple for a taxi to get you into town. Buses are cheaper than taxis, approx $2 a head. Be prepared though, the standard of transport is no where like the standards here in Oz, and the drive itself reminds me of the dodgem cars. All good fun. Enjoy. :)

3. Re: Port to Port Vila township

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2012, 05:19