We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best cup of coffee I have ever had!

Which Port Vila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
The best cup of coffee I have ever had!

Yes, it was so good that I have to tell everyone.

Traveled the globe three times and never experienced such a cup of sheer gastronomic indulgence...it was bordering on a sensual experience!

A Nivanuatu lady (ex Tanna) made it for me at the Tanna Coffee "roasting factory".

Stupid me, living in PV for 8 yrs and never went there before. Now living in Tanna I could kick myself for not doing this earlier...will just have to relearn how to make the perfect cup from them.

Anyway, before I rave on endlessly, I just want to say to Terry Adlington, the owner and Tanna Coffee and Vanuatu coffee maverick, that we are so proud of his product (although I consume way too much of it),

Have pics of my visit here: https:/…101668878503167184262

Cheers,

John

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best cup of coffee I have ever had!

Wabster bought 5kg back and has used half of it already (3 weeks!)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The best cup of coffee I have ever had!

I'm with you there John, we visited the factory last September and got 2kg of coffee to bring home, and it was gone in a flash.

Last visit in May we brought home 5kg of coffee, and it seems to be disappearing way too fast.

But there is no doubt to us that Tanna coffee is the best and as we speak we are sharing it a large group of friends on the Gold Coast, so spreading the word here as well as home in Sydney.

It is nice to know that we can get it by mail order here in Aussie now but for us it is a good excuse to go to Vanuatu again when we run out,

Cheerz Wabster.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
678 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best cup of coffee I have ever had!

John, I'm so glad you are snapping loads of photos again. What beautiful scenes you have displayed for us. Thanks.

BTW. Graham and I have been keen consumers of Tanna Coffee for about 5 years now. Last trip in January we bought 6 kilos (sssh...some days I still have a good old instant Nescafe, so I think we've still got 2 kilos left). Soon it will time to do and Internet order. We ran out for a while late last year and it wasn't pretty.

I've never had a cup made for me at the Tanna roasting factory though, and now I'm wishing I had tried it. I am sure it must taste different to the way we make it. Was it VERY strong?

Kerry

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The best cup of coffee I have ever had!

Yes it is fantastic.

We stock up with bags of fresh coffee right out of the roasting machine. Can't beat that.

Never drink the instant dust yuk. Well I say never but that wouldn't be strictly true. I have it about once every two years when in extenuating circumstances. What they could be I'll leave to your imagination.

Thanks for the pics John.

Jen

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The best cup of coffee I have ever had!

Kerry,

The cup I had was no longer coffee as I know it, it was a gift of the Gods.

I do like very strong coffee (....stand a teaspoon in it, if it stays upright, it's ready), but this was not about strenght, it was about luscious flavour and velvety tactility.

....Crickey I sound gay when I get going!

australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The best cup of coffee I have ever had!

Hey..

Where can I get some Tanna Coffee online ?

Bought some back in '79 when I worked in New Hebrides..sure it came from Tanna then.

I assume it is Robusta coffee.

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The best cup of coffee I have ever had!

Actualy it is Arabica, see their site:http://www.tannacoffee.com/

:-)

John

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The best cup of coffee I have ever had!

Damn! I just check the link in Picasa and found most of the images missing, so sorry.

I think that I lost internet connection during the uploading. Worse part is I cannot find them anywhere (disappeared from my hard drive), been away from Picasa for three months and Google the way it is changed everything in the Apl. Now one has to upload on Google+ first, then transfer images to Picasa...a real nuisance....Guess it's Google’s' way of stacking content etc on Google+ to compete with Facebook.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The best cup of coffee I have ever had!

Google + is cool, however, changes that upset image storage are not.

Santo grows the robusta and Tanna grows the arabica for the record.

Well I'm sure some horticultural expert might nitpick about such a generality but so be it.

How's the new digs going John? Has Yasur woken you up in the wee small hours or are you too far away to hear her?

Jen

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The best cup of coffee I have ever had!

I've said all I've said about Tanna coffee....Best coffee in the world ~ Hands down...!!

Fabulous fotos Johno....!!....