We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty free alcohol to drink in Vanuatu

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Duty free alcohol to drink in Vanuatu

Ive read lots of posts but now im a bit confused. Can we purchase duty free alcohol to be consumed during our stay in PV? Or only to take back home?

Leaving in two weeks today...super excited!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty free alcohol to drink in Vanuatu

Same as home, you can buy or take Duty Free into Vanuatu on arrival ie buy at Sydney to get what you want but pay more or buy at Port Vila airport Duty Free on arrival, less choice but cheaper.

Once you are in Vanuatu you can only buy Duty Free to export, ie they have it at the airport after you clear security to collect and take on the plane home.

So any grog you buy there for consumption there is taxed, same as here, prices are pretty much the same.

Hope this clarifies things for you,

Cheerz Wabster.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty free alcohol to drink in Vanuatu

Just a word of warning, it is no longer possible to purchase duty free alcohol overseas to bring into Sydney.(Well, you can but you must be prepared to pay the duty on it or have it confiscated). It is only possible to purchase duty free from Sydney once you land.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty free alcohol to drink in Vanuatu

Fernsie that above comment is simply untrue. Please give us a link to your source that duty free alcohol cannot be brought into Australia duty free.

The change in the cigarette allowance caused a huge outcry, and this would be even bigger given that Sydney duty free booze is much more expensive than that bought in other international locations including Port Vila.

Cheerz Wabster.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty free alcohol to drink in Vanuatu

wabster, I flew into Sydney from Rarotonga on Saturday night & signs in the duty free shops in Rarotonga (after clearing customs) indicated that duty free purchases of alcohol could not be taken into Sydney in hand luggage as was possible in the past.

I must admit my above post is ambiguous. It is still possible to bring duty free alcohol into Sydney, but it must be in checked in luggage, not hand luggage as you suggest.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty free alcohol to drink in Vanuatu

Some countries/ airlines are taking the 'less than 100ml fluids as carry on', a bit far.

Rest assured that you can buy 2.25lt spirits in PV and bring them into Sydney or Brisbane on Virgin no problem. As we did last week. If you are really worried about it just buy it before you go through Customs on arrival back into Sydney or Brisbane airport

If you want alchohol to drink in PV on arrival buy it in Sydney or Brisbane after you go through Customs or at PV airport before Customs (after Immigration) when you arrive. Your duty free allowance into PV is very generous, with spirits & Wine & a case Beer allowed in on arrival.

Cheers!!

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,954 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty free alcohol to drink in Vanuatu

Just jumping in here and remember I'm not an Australian.

I think there is something odd about the rules between Rarotonga and Australia. What is behind it I have no idea, but think the problem is between those two countries. Maybe the two countries haven't signed relevant bits of paper??? But it certainly has been going on for a while.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty free alcohol to drink in Vanuatu

Ah I see, there well could be Fernsie and Nzlilibet, I know there are hassles bringing duty free booze from a number of places back to Aussie.

Some are to do with "intermediary stopovers" and some are, perhaps like the Cook Is one, just bureaucracy gone mad, or some tit for tat regulation. Thanks for the comments.

There are however no impediments taking duty free booze from/to Port Vila and Sydney/Brisbane though.

Cheerz Wabster.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duty free alcohol to drink in Vanuatu

For those that are interested I raised the issue in the Cook Islands Forum.

Please remember this does NOT effect buying duty free booze and taking it back to Australia from Vanuatu.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g309704-i2627-k582…

Cheerz Wabster.

9. Re: Duty free alcohol to drink in Vanuatu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 21:17