We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccinations for Port Vila

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Vaccinations for Port Vila

We will be staying at Holiday inn in Port Vila in December. I have been told to get hepatitis shots (which I don't think we will have time for now) as well as malaria tablets.

Is this necessary? We will be visiting a few of the beaches such as Blue Lagoon and Eton Beach but that's about it for day trips.

Thanks,

Karyn

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaccinations for Port Vila

Hi Karyn,

Firstly I must say that I have no medical expertise whatsoever. Secondly, large groups of our family have visited with us over the years and to this day nobody has used malaria tablets. One or two of them had hep shots during the course of their normal practice but nobody had them specifically to visit Vanuatu.

You can take insect repellent, bandaids and antibacterial cream and some suggest one of those tummy bug potions, but to this day the only thing we have ever needed was antibacterial cream and bandaids.

Hope this helps,

Jen

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaccinations for Port Vila

Thanks - went to GP today and she recommended Hep A and malaria tablets. Will cost around $450 for all 3 of us. I don't mind paying the money but most people have said they aren't necessary.

She did finish by saying that if you use a good insect repellant, like Bushman's, then that should be ok too lol. She gave me a script for antibiotics incase one of us gets a bad tummy bug.

Bargara, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaccinations for Port Vila

I'm not a medico but at some point someone posted a link to the WHO site that indicated Port Vila and environs do not require anti-malarials. The most common, doxycycline (an antibiotic itself) is heavy duty stuff. Why take it if not needed? Just prevent bites if you can, as the action of scratching "itchies" can break the skin and encourage infection in the humid tropics.

On tummy infections, even though you have the script go and see the pharmacist in the chemist shops in the main drag of Vila. They know what is going around and can give you the most appropriate thing to treat it, which may or may not be antibiotics.

Try to relax about "sickness" just remember you are in the tropics in the hot humid season and infections can happen.

Take a bit of Betadine for coral cuts, and have a great time,

Cheerz Wabster.

Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vaccinations for Port Vila

I'm off to vanuatu tomorrow (can't wait) and haven't bothered with any shots. Packing buscopan incase of any tummy upsets and packing an insect repellent.

$450 is alot of money for vaccinations and tablets!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,470 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vaccinations for Port Vila

You don't need either Hep shots or an anti malarial in PV.

Hep shots are handy to have regardless of where you are and anti malarials are only necessary if you are spending a long time in the outer islands.

You can get antibiotics and any other drug you need over the counter at pharmacies in the main street (no script required) after a discussion with the pharmacist.

Tap water is treated and fine to drink but is high in minerals which can cause an upset tummy for sensitive people.

Relax and enjoy yourself!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vaccinations for Port Vila

Thanks - I think might mind is at ease now...without any vaccinations!

7. Re: Vaccinations for Port Vila

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2013, 10:15