We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomm recommendations for a family

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Accomm recommendations for a family

Hi

I'm heading to vanuatu with my husband, 2 yo and my parents (in their 60's). Can anyone recommend a good place to stay?

We have considered renting a house but worried that we might be better at a resort so we have access to restaurants and activity facilities.

Is there anywhere that is a bit in between, like self catering villas that have a common areas like pools, restaurants, beach activities etc?

We're thinking of going in July/August next year

Thanks

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomm recommendations for a family

Have a look at the 2BR house on Hideaway Island, Nasama Beach Resort or Poppies on the Lagoon. These all have self catering facilities and are also within easy bus access to town, other restaurants etc. Or just Google 'self catering Port Vila' to see other options.

Depending on the length of your stay and what extent you wish to self cater, you may find a normal resort room ok too. They usually have a mini fridge, coffee & tea making facilities etc. If you are only staying a week you may not want to cook that much but be happy with nice bread, local fruits, french butter, cheeses, cold meats etc in your room.

Have a great trip!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomm recommendations for a family

Great! Thanks for info. I did get a quote from poppys but i thought it was quite expensive (over $600 per night for a 3 bedder) i also got a quote from lagoon beach resort which was very resonable , do you have any views on this place??? seems too good to be true!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomm recommendations for a family

Hi

Try Mele Beach Retreat ,we just got back and it was great.We had our own pool and only 100m to beach.Your only about 10mins to town by local bus which always come past or you can cook in ,we had many great nights having a BBQ.Hideaway and the cascades are only a short bus trip away.

Have fun

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
730 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomm recommendations for a family

We stayed at Nasama a few weeks ago in one of the two bedroom units. I would think that it could fit you lot.

The price was a lot less than you have been quoted. While there is no restaurant on site, it is all self catering, and there is a nice pool and access to the sea. Its only about 10 minutes into the town by bus that runs by every couple of minutes.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomm recommendations for a family

Great thanks for the tip! I just had a look at mele beach villa and it look lovely. Is the beach rocky or sandy? Did you hire a car or are the buses easy to navigate? Just one more thing, was the pool a good temperature, we're coming in July/August so it will be a bit cooler. Thanks :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomm recommendations for a family

Thanks! I'll check out nasama as well. We need 3 rooms as the little one doesn't sleep with us! But we could get 2 villas.

Was that beach rocky or sandy? Did they have any kayakes available for hire?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accomm recommendations for a family

Hi

You should also have a look at Pandanus Bay Apartments. They have three bedroom houses so will fit you all, and the facilities look great. About 10 minutes to town, and about a 10 minute walk to Breakas resort so you can go to dinner. We have booked this place for March next year and are really looking forward to it. James and Claudine have been wonderful to deal with for the booking process and can only imagine that they will make our stay memorable.

Good luck.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accomm recommendations for a family

The beach is sandy ,we just used the buses. We found it alot easier then driving around,its only about a 2 min walk to the main road. The pool was great it wasn't too cold or to hot.We had the best time there. The owners Lynn & Mitch are great guys very helpful with everything.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accomm recommendations for a family

Hi natntony.

I checked out mele beach retreat, it looks good. I was a bit concerned that it was far from restaurants. We would probably want a few nights out, is it far to restaurants? Were there kayakes and things to use in the day? We will have a 2 year old with us, do you think it's a good place for a kid?

Thanks for your help!!

Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accomm recommendations for a family

Just to make things more difficult for you I am gonna suggest warwick le lagon, only a 3-5min bus ride away from town, very family & kid friendly. free brekky, kids club.

free use of kayaks etc