We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Efate - best snorkelling spots

Springwood...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Efate - best snorkelling spots

I have stayed at Hideaway twice now and as much as I love it, I feel I know every fish and piece of coral intimately. It is great being able to walk straight into an underwater wonderland from your accommodation. Are there other good snorkelling spots on Efate where you can do this? Does anyone know anything about Emten Lagoon where there is accommodation and snorkelling? But how good is the snorkelling?

Jan

Paradise Cove Resort
Paradise Cove Resort
#1 of 49 hotels in Port Vila
The Havannah, Vanuatu
The Havannah, Vanuatu
#2 of 49 hotels in Port Vila
Eratap Beach Resort
Eratap Beach Resort
#3 of 49 hotels in Port Vila
Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Efate - best snorkelling spots

Have a look at this website, we live in Vanuatu and own the parasailing business and we take our staff out on our boat around Iririki island were we snorkel and have seen the reef explorer there with people having lots of fun.Or if you want to have a lot of fun and you can ride a jet ski, Joes Jet Ski on Iririki Island does snorkelling tours, took our son on the tour and he loved it, beautiful crystal clear water and hand feeding the fish.

http://www.vanuatujetski.com/jet/

toursvanuatu.com/watersports/the-reef-explor…

Have fun on your trip

Mentioned in this post
Vanuatu
Vanuatu
South Pacific
Iririki Island
Iririki Island
161 Reviews
Efate, Vanuatu
Springwood...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Efate - best snorkelling spots

Thanks for this. The reef looks nice from the few shots on their site and I'd certainly consider doing it once. However, this will be primarily a snorkelling holiday for me and that means spending about 5 hours a day in the water. I could probably spend longer but try to get a little balance into my holidays. Therefore organised snorkelling tours don't really help much. I need to be able to stay right at the spot. From what I've been told, the snorkelling right off the beach at Iriiriki isn't that great at all and staying there doesn't appeal because it is so over-developed. I might be best advised to reacquaint myself with the fish at Hideaway.

Many thanks for the tip about the Iririki trips though. You certainly live in a wonderful part of the world.

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Efate - best snorkelling spots

Check out Benjor Beach Resort site for snorkelling.Lovely place to stay and quite private too. Hope this helps you.

benjor.com/facilities/leisure

Springwood...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Efate - best snorkelling spots

Many thanks. Sounds good.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Efate - best snorkelling spots

Hi Jan, My husband and I are mad-keen snorkelers also. It's a pity you can't get to Santo, where the snorkeling is even better than Efate, much more untouched. In March we went to two different places on Santo, and spent hours each day swimming with the fishes.

If you have to stay on Efate though, and if you don't mind roughing it a little, Havannah Eco Lodges at Gideon's Landing are worth a look. We stayed there last year and loved it. It is very basic accommodation but the snorkeling is great just a few steps down from the bungalows.There is a little restaurant there now, but we self-catered with local produce .. delicious! Another possibility is just over from there, Tranquillity Island (Moso) Eco Resort. Again, fairly basic but the snorkeling is even better. We took a morning trip by banana boat over to the back of Lelepa Island and snorkelling in probably the best coral I've seen around Efate. The websites for these are http://www.tranquillityislandecoresort.com/ and http://www.havannahecolodge.com . There are reviews on here also.

Cheers, Barbara

Mentioned in this post
The Havannah, Vanuatu
The Havannah, Vanuatu
618 Reviews
Efate, Vanuatu
Lelepa Island Day Tour
Lelepa Island Day Tour
365 Reviews
Efate, Vanuatu
Efate
Efate
Vanuatu
Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Efate - best snorkelling spots

Along Devils Point road is a ni-van owned and run resort called Tara Beach. It has great snorkelling along the edge of a coral drop off out in from of the resort. There is a wharf right up to the edge of the drop off. Just get a bus there from town (its just past the turn off to The Summit).

Other than that, call Lelepa Island and ask for a ride over to the island for spectacular snorkelling spots for the day. vanuatu.travel/things-to-do/cultural-and-com… Just call Albert Solomon on arrival. You can also stay in bungalows on the island which is about 45min but small boat from the main island near Havannah Harbour.

You could also do a day trip to Pele, Nguna or Emao Islands which also have great snorkelling. Closer to town, snorkel around Iririki on the side facing away from town or off Erakor Island in the channel between the island and the village around coral bommies with resident eels.

Edited: 27 December 2012, 22:33
Mentioned in this post
Lelepa Island Day Tour
Lelepa Island Day Tour
365 Reviews
Efate, Vanuatu
The Havannah, Vanuatu
The Havannah, Vanuatu
618 Reviews
Efate, Vanuatu
Erakor Island Resort & Spa
Erakor Island Resort...
749 Reviews
Efate, Vanuatu
Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Efate - best snorkelling spots

Thank you P&L... I was trying to remember Tara Beach's name to recommend it. I haven't snorkeled there myself, but remember reading quite a few great reviews about the coral and fish there. We had dinner there one night and just loved it. The resort itself has great reviews on here if you search it, could be worth considering for accommodation.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Efate - best snorkelling spots

Just don't eat there if Lulu's wife is not there and Lulu himself cooks....he likes everything very well done! The bungalows on the beach are very basic and he can also take you out past the breakers to fish from kayak if you like. Its nice to be able to get out of the water and have a few drinks and snacks watching the waves afterwards.

Springwood...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Efate - best snorkelling spots

Many thanks everyone for all that very, very helpful information. I guess, Barbara, my main reason for wanting to go back to Efate is that I know it and it is easy to get around. We used to buy the ingredients in town and make our own lunches and enjoyed the trips into town to the markets etc. On my last trip I went with two friends and we had a week on HIdeaway and a week on Santo staying at Oyster Is. Resort. As the others didn't want to spent most of the day in the water, it was pretty cut off and hard to do anything else much. We are not lazing around at resort type of people. Also, although the coral at Oyster Is. was superb the fish were none too plentiful, probably because of net fishing in the area. Also, the fresh water flowing into the snorkelling area made the water appear very oily and so visibility wasn't good. Where did you stay, Barbara, when on Santo? I'm not totally committed to Efate and don't mind roughing it as long as the rooms can be mosquito-proofed. That can be a problem and one we had at Oyster Is. The resort is quite up-market by my usual standards but the rooms badly designed to keep mozzies out.

Mentioned in this post
Efate
Efate
Vanuatu
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Efate - best snorkelling spots

Paradise Cove is close to excellent walk in snorkelling off their little beach. The price might be more than you're used to though.

As to your original question, Emtem lagoon is not a place I would choose for snorkelling.

Happy travels,

Jen

Mentioned in this post
Paradise Cove Resort
Paradise Cove Resort
598 Reviews
Efate, Vanuatu