We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fishing or golf

Gold Coast...
2 posts
Save Topic
fishing or golf

I am booked on a cruise to noumea, lifou and port vila in october and was wondering if there was anywhere to catch some good fish or have a round of golf. These places look like perfect locations for both fishing and golf courses. Would need to hire fishing gear and/or golf equipment also.

Any reccomendations?

vanuatu
Level Contributor
320 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: fishing or golf

Hi

I can only comment on Port Vila, Yes you have a choice to do either.

The game fishing in Vanuatu would be arguably equal to the best in the world.

Port Vila also has a golf course. If your cruising with P&O I know you can book tours for both but you won't be in Port Vila long enough for both. Port Vila golf does have clubs for hire.

If you want a much cheaper alternative, don't book a golf tour from the ship, just turn up and by bus or taxi (about 30mins from dock) and you can book and hire clubs yourself.

Cheers

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fishing or golf

There is a shorter 'resort' course at Le Lagon, not far from the wharf. They have golf carts etc and its a nice place yo have lunch, swim etc. Or the PV Golf cLub 18 holes is further out and very nice too.

I think most fishing charters leave at 6am but maybe they do a later one for cruise ships. I can recommend tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294144-d2… Contact them and see if they can help you out.

Maybe if you do only 9 holes you can do both?

Gold Coast...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: fishing or golf

Thanks for the help.

Have looked into a couple of fishing charters and seem to be very expensive. All I want is half a day to throw a line in, whether it be from a boat, a rock or a wharf. Not really fussed.

Can I maybe just hire a rod and buy bait to throw a line in somewhere or are there special rules and regulations when it comes to fishing.

More so looking to fish now in port vila.

Any suggestions about how to throw in a line and not spend so much money would be great.

Cheers.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fishing or golf

You can go with Harbour Fishing Charters 4 hrs for $400 for 3 people. This is relatively cheap. You cannot just throw a line in as there are marine parks and areas of no fishing and all beaches are privately owned and you would have to pay the landowner to access the beach to fish unless you went on some type of tour/charter.

vanuatu
Level Contributor
320 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: fishing or golf

Hi

What you can do, and it's very basic.

Find a local (ni-van) with a boat, around the harbour is a good start.

Try the water taxis, the locals are almost always up for a few extra dollars.

You will find somebody with very basic tackle (eg a coke bottle with some line and a hook wrapped around it) that would be more than happy to take you out.

Negotiate the price first.

I personally know people that have done this and say they loved it.

It's all part of the experience.

The ni-van are very accommodating people and will go out of their way to help for a few bucks of course.

It's the same thing as using a local bus driver for a tour instead of a tour company, a much cheaper alternative.

Cheers

Edited: 27 January 2013, 22:29
vanuatu
Level Contributor
320 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: fishing or golf

Hi again

If your cruising with P&O they will most likely have about 100 ni-van working on board as crew.

They will almost always have a cousin brother (they're all related) who either has a boat or knows someone who does. You may have to ask around as they are all from different islands.

I used to work for both P&O and the Port Vila golf course.

cheers

7. Re: fishing or golf

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2014, 06:18