We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

School Supplies for Vanuatu

Strathdownie
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
School Supplies for Vanuatu

We are travelling to Port Villa in April 2013 and we would like to bring some school supplies for the Vanuatu schools. Howe do I arrange to get in touch with the schools and are we welcome to visit and donate. Also what are they in most need of: pencils, writing books, reaading books and for what ages. If we go to just one school then we would like to make sure that we would have items for every student so how do we know how many of the items to bring, we would be devastated to bring 20 items and need 22!!!!

Any information would be great, we are staying at Poppy's on the Lagoon in Villa.

Thanks

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: School Supplies for Vanuatu

If you want to donate educational supplies, try to donate them at village schools out of Port Vila (where most supplies end up). The basic supplies are more scarce the further away you get from the tourist track.

Dont hesitate to stop at any village and ask the first person you come across to speak to a teacher (even in school holidays) as they will usually live in the village. Or ask your driver to take you to a village school if you are on a round island tour. Don't forget some schools teach in French, some in English and some just in Bislama so make sure you are donating in the right lingo!

Another thing that is good to donate are cheap reading glasses (magnifying ones), they are light and dont take up much space in your luggage. Maybe your work friends can gather old ones from family etc and get a heap together for you to bring. Another light thing to bring are blow up world globes and educational posters (times tables, alphabet etc).

Aaron...I agree...its a bit silly to donate laptops etc to schools unless they are a high school with formal IT training program. They would be full of viruses and not functional for some reason within a couple of weeks and with no $$ to repair them.

Luganville, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
22 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: School Supplies for Vanuatu

I agree to some extent - I live here and look after a small school/kindy - there is no electricity in the village anyway to charge the laptop and or phone... however, the government funded schools do require the use of computers, which are usually donated and/or bought from the education dept money. so I dont think you need to donate them - unless in a big way to a whole school. Most of the other school out of town rely on donations just to pay the teachers wages (as we do ) we get a lot of stationery, toys, books etc also donated so we dont have to spend money on these items.

Thank you for you interest though. It is wonderful to see the number of people that genuinely 'care' about these issues, thank you x

rockhampton
5 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: School Supplies for Vanuatu

I can't remember the name of the village school we donated to during our last trip can you recommend a school not a kindy that we can go into to distribute our gifts have heard of a small Baptist school would appreciate your help thanks

Luganville, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
22 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: School Supplies for Vanuatu

when are you coming over - there are quite a few schools under Christian denominations. I can surely find one for you. The president of our kindy committee is the principal of a primary school - its seventh day Adventist? you can email me russ.kim2@gmail.com to discuss privately

Regards

Kim

rockhampton
5 posts
Save Reply
35. Re: School Supplies for Vanuatu

is there any catholic ones if not we are heading out by taxi in the direction of hideaway island so if there is one around the area. We have a suitcase full of stationary scissors glue pens chalk and readers from our school. Appreciate your help will be there 19th march thanks linda

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
36. Re: School Supplies for Vanuatu

I think donation of basic school supplies such as uniforms, lunch boxes, school supplies,art supplies are best idea to donate rather than electronic equipments such as laptops. Basic school supplies are useful for every age group.

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: School Supplies for Vanuatu

very good suggestions as most of the schools we help are out of town and have no electricity for laptops or to re charge, thank you

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: School Supplies for Vanuatu

And I don't think the kids in need care what religion you are!

There are missionaries and churches from all religions here. About 80% of them are christian of some type. But of course the local kastom culture is most important.

There is a primary school at Mele village near the turn off to Hideaway island…I think its Presbyterian? You can easily walk there from Hideaway or get your taxi to show you. The only catholic one I can think of is a private french catholic boarding school, theres sure to be others but I would think they would be well provisioned compared to a village school out of town.

Edited: 13 August 2014, 12:18
Sydney, New South...
1 post
Save Reply
39. Re: School Supplies for Vanuatu

Hi Cindy

Roughly how many supplies did you take like stationary and books?

I'm going on a cruise next week and will do the school tour to Eton.

Thanks

Emily

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
398 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: School Supplies for Vanuatu

my son is 12 and has tons of books he has grown out of and he is interested in donating them. Will these be useful for donations? So they would be a reading age of 6-10 years.