We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving at Bauerfield International Airport at 2am !!!!

Which Port Vila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
2 posts
Save Topic
Arriving at Bauerfield International Airport at 2am !!!!

Hi everyone,

We just booked a great return fare from Melbourne to Port Villa. The only catch is that it arrives at Bauerfield Airport at 2am, eeeeek!

Our transfer to our hotel doesn't arrive until 7am. Will the airport be open after 2am for us to hang around the airport or is it best to book into a close by hotel?

Any suggestions would be extremely grateful as this will be our first trip to Vanuatu. Thank you :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving at Bauerfield International Airport at 2am !!!!

Where is your accommodation located? In Port Vila or further out?

There will be cabs and other transport at the airport, there are for every flight in, so too money changing services so don't buy Vatu in Australia :-)

If your accommodation is in town just pay an extra night for the arrival night and get a cab there and check in immediately, rather than hanging around the airport for 3 or 4 hours.

The airport isn't very far from the city centre.

Tell us a bit more and we can help a bit better ;-)

Cheerz Wabster.

Melbourne
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving at Bauerfield International Airport at 2am !!!!

Thank you so much Wabster.

We will be staying at Eratap for our honeymoon and their price includes transfer pick up from anywhere in Vanuatu.

Would you be able to recommend a good, clean, cheap hotel to stay for only a few hours? Is it definitely worth getting a hotel for such a short stay? We are fairly young and don't mind the adventure of hanging out at the airport .. or is that plain stupid???? LOL

Any further advice, I would be so grateful for.

Thanks so much,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving at Bauerfield International Airport at 2am !!!!

Nah, I reckon if you are on your honeymoon you can occupy yourselves for a few hours at the airport. Just don't start on your duty free grog :-)

If you arrive at 2am, processing won't take long and there isn't anything there to do but I'm sure you can kill time till pickup.

To get to Eratap you will go through the centre of the town or maybe the northern fringe but Eratap is down the South East.

I'm sure others will come and give some comments too. I'm looking forward to your coming back and telling us about your trip in due course. Do fire away more questions as they arise, many here are happy to help,

Cheerz Wabster.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving at Bauerfield International Airport at 2am !!!!

A good option would be to go to Emily's (the bus driver/taxi will know where it is just over the road from Parliament House). Its open 24/7 and has great food, coffee and beer on tap. It is also attached to the Sportsmens Hotel where you can get a room for $40 and ask Eratap to collect you from there. That way you can have a snooze and a meal if you want for a good price. It wouldnt be fun hanging out at the airport for 5hrs! In fact I would ask Eratap to get you at lunch time and walk down the hill into town for a quick look in the morning :) tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g294144-d315…

Edited: 03 February 2013, 22:43
Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving at Bauerfield International Airport at 2am !!!!

That sounds really strange to me. What accommodation provider, particularly a relatively up-market provider, would expect you to wait at an airport (which is very likely to be closed anyway) for 5 hours? Bauerfield is a very small airport, MelbourneSunflower, not like an Aussie international airport at all. There are a couple of benches outside, but I wouldn't sleep there with mozzies etc.

Surely someone like Evergreen Tours would pick up even at that hour. Who is picking up the other passengers on those late-night flights - there would have to be others needing transfers to their accomm. Something doesn't sound right about this to me. I would email or phone Eratap and get it sorted pronto.

Cheers, Barbara

I would be jumping up and down if I was you, contact Eratap and insist they organise someone to collect you then.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving at Bauerfield International Airport at 2am !!!!

They would be charged an extra night if they went straight to Eratap at 2am so may be trying to avoid this?

Campbelltown...
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving at Bauerfield International Airport at 2am !!!!

I would book the night at somewhere like tradewinds (approx $130 night) and get a transfer with melanesian tours who will show you to your room at that hour. Melanesian tours meet ALL flights coming into vila and live down the driveway from tradewinds.

Then I would have eratap pick me up from there!

I wouldnt sit outside the airport doors on a bench at that hour

Jody

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving at Bauerfield International Airport at 2am !!!!

I wouldn't stick around Bauerfield Airport until 7am. I'm surprised that there is a flight arriving at 2am, so I'm wondering which airline.

On one of our visits to PV via Air Vanuatu from Brisbane (usually arrives around mid night) we were stuck at the airport until 1.30am as the transfer I'd organised was late (they probably went to sleep) by the time they arrived all the taxi's were gone, and most of the airport was closed.

I'd also add it's a tiny terminal, not much there at all. Not a good place to be stuck for hours in the early morning.

I'd go with one of the suggestions above, but definately don't stay at the airport, as you may be sitting on a seat outside the terminal.

By the way, I've never used that transfer company ever again. I usually just grab a taxi now.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving at Bauerfield International Airport at 2am !!!!

We've always flown direct Melb to PV on the Thursday night Air Vanuatu flight. We book transfers with Melanesian Tours. They are great, always on time at the airport at 2.00am and have arrangements with resorts to get you to your accommodation. Cost about 1000 vatu. You can book on line just Google Melanesian Tours

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving at Bauerfield International Airport at 2am !!!!

GJB633...their accommodation is providing transfers. They must not be booked in to Eratap til the next day.