We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay...Mangoes or Breakers...or somewhere else??

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay...Mangoes or Breakers...or somewhere else??

My husband and I will be in Port Villa for three days, can't decide where to stay?? Have read mixed reviews for both.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay...Mangoes or Breakers...or somewhere else??

Breakas is over 18's only, is on a beach rather than a lagoon and has a nice (small pool). That might help you decide!

Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay...Mangoes or Breakers...or somewhere else??

My mother stayed at Nasama Resort about 2 weeks ago for a week and it was amazing, only a few minutes down the road from Breakas so you can still go there for meals and snorkelling but not as many people around and much more relaxing. Room looked great and the staff were lovely. Would highly recommend.

Edited: 12 February 2013, 05:11
Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay...Mangoes or Breakers...or somewhere else??

Ixixly,

We are booked to stay at Nasama for a few days later this year. Do you know/did your mother mention if it is reasonably close to Warwick Le Lagon?

It is hard to tell from maps whether it is close enough to wander to for lunch. Pacific Lagoon is apparently close enough to do this, and easy to access along the beach, and Nasama looks to be almost next door.

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay...Mangoes or Breakers...or somewhere else??

Breakas is a bit out of town but that is no hassle getting into town on the buses that run every few minutes. It has great facilities on a nice location, the food is good, breakfast usually included is great, and evening meals varied and well priced, though don't expect cheap. Roy the F&B manager is a very approachable guy too.

There are always complaints about noise from the nearby village, roosters dogs and occasionally smoke. Ask to be located nearer the main block. Also some people experienced a bit of cold recently when they had a cooler than usual winter, and it is hard to close the rooms up as they are meant to have flow through ventilation in the hot weather to allow the sea breezes through.

I've not stayed at Mangoes but I think it is adults only too and is located just behind town. It generally gets good reviews, the restaurant particularly, and I think it is a more compact place.

To me the beach and pool are big plusses for Breakas.

Cheerz Wabster

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay...Mangoes or Breakers...or somewhere else??

Thanks very much for your thoughts - it's a quality problem of course!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay...Mangoes or Breakers...or somewhere else??

Breakas is nice but getting a bit too big. Started going there about 5 years ago. Great then but busier now. Depends what you want. A nice quiet place right on the beach with a pool and only 10 fares is Paradise Cove. A bit further down than Breakas, a bit harder to get into PVbut very relaxing. Great sfood too.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
95 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay...Mangoes or Breakers...or somewhere else??

Mangoes is on a cliff top, and Breakas is beachfront. We also looked at both of them too, and chose Breakas as we wanted the option of sea swimming and wanted a beachfront fare. I think you take the mixed reviews with a grain of salt. You can't please everyone all the time!! I'm not that worried about the dogs, roosters and village being close.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay...Mangoes or Breakers...or somewhere else??

It would take about 20mins to walk along from Breakas to Le Lagon. Its a fairly bust road but an interesting walk. Or jump on a bus for 150vt as Wabster suggests.

Waitaki, null, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay...Mangoes or Breakers...or somewhere else??

Hi there tigs111.. I would recommend Iririki..there is something for everyone there, from rustic but charming fare's to swanky apartments. I stayed in 2 different fares when I was there and both were sweet, the second had a canopy bed and I felt like a princess, tehe. It is in the heart of Port Villas harbor and there is a 24 hour taxi boat(a pleasant 3 minuet ride with no hassle boarding, we were traveling with a lady in a wheel chair so as you can imagine we wouldn't have been able to do it if it was a drama getting on and off:) It drops you in the heart of PV so you can easily walk the town from there. We spent a whole day exploring, shopping and eating and then home to Iririki for cock tales by the pool .Fantastic!!!! As long as one remembers when there that you are on Island time.. then you will love it.The people of Vanuatu are such lovely souls but even more friendly and smiling on Iririki... There are heaps of free water activates and the buffet breakfast was amazing. The team will arrange other of the Island tours and activities with no hassle. I am going back March 2014 and I can't wait. I hope you have a fab time where ever you stay as if is just the most wonderful place :)

Here"s a link for you www.iririki.com/…

10. Re: Where to stay...Mangoes or Breakers...or somewhere else??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2014, 06:17