We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid cruise ships

Which Port Vila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dorrigo
Level Contributor
3 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Avoid cruise ships

Hi we are going to PV in early May for just a week. Alas I think 4 cruise ships are scheduled and so is Lelepa Island a good tour to take on one of those days. Other suggestions welcome.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoid cruise ships

Lelepa Is, Pele Is, Nguna Is, Moso Is, Emao Is are all great day trips from Port Vila. Its not usually that bad in Port Vila with cruise ships in. It just means there are more people in town than usual... but just the ones that don't go off on round island tours, cascades, buggy tours, horse riding etc. Unless you intend to be in town a lot it shouldn't affect you at all. If you get a nice day catch a bus out to Aquana Beach http://www.aquana.com.au for lunch and a relax on the nice white sand. If you enjoy snorkelling head out to Tara Beach which is not crowded like Hideaway and has some great bigger fish.

Have a great trip!

Qld
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
328 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoid cruise ships

We did the Lelepa island tour 2 weeks ago and it was fantastic, most amazing snorkelling spots & the guide are just lovely we would definitely recommend it :)

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoid cruise ships

If you can, book any tours well in advance of the cruise ships arriving. The places fill up fast, and they'll sometimes charge you more if they think you are from one of the ships.

Port Vila
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoid cruise ships

We don't charge extra if coming from the cruise ship our prices stay the same and I know a few tour operators don't either, its booking from the cruise ships where they charge a lot more than the operators., and the operators that have contracts with the organiser get a small percentage for it def not the full cost that's for sure hence why I try and encourage tourists to book directly. .

Branxton, New South...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoid cruise ships

Can I ask how did u book this trip - we are going on Carnival Cruise in 3 weeks - trying to get a smuch info as i can for trips! Thanx

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoid cruise ships

Melissa you can book tours by phone or email directly with the operator.

www.vanuatu.travel/ lists many tours and contact details but they seem to be having trouble with their internet just now.

Alternatively just google the tour you are interested to find some operators.

Have fun!

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoid cruise ships

http://www.toursvanuatu.com/ try this site for all tours etc in Vanuatu.

8. Re: Avoid cruise ships

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 05:15