We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volcano....is it worth it??

South Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Volcano....is it worth it??

Hi All, we are heading to Vanuatu in a couple of weeks and are looking at doing a trip to the volcano. My partner really wants to do it, I am not so fussed whether we do or not...I'd like to know if it is really worth the effort and money. Seems like a big day if your not that much into volcanos....any feedback would be great!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Volcano....is it worth it??

Hi Muster.

Its a once in a lifetime experience (so good many do it more than once before OHS finds its way to this remote island!).

You can do a day flight over it but really, nothing beats standing on the rim of a live volcano, with lava explosions happening right in front of you and the earth shaking.

Usually people stay a couple of nights on Tanna, a less developed island than Efate (where Port Vila is).

You can fly with Air Vanuatu (50min flight from PV) stay overnight either in a basic unpowered bungalow near the volcano or in a more western bungalow with power, hot water, internet, bar etc near the airport. If you stay on the airport side of the island its then a 1.5hr trip through the jungle, across ash plains, river beds etc to the parking area on one side of the volcano. Hike about 100m up a path to the rim of the volcano to watch the light show as the sun goes down.

Its worth staying on Tanna a few days as it's more the 'real' Vanuatu. You can visit fairly primitive villages and learn about the culture and also its fantastic snorkelling. Planes cannot land on Tanna airstrip after dark. So you have the choice of a flyover without landing on the island in the day or late afternoon or the much better night safari full experience.

Have fun.

Edited: 09 April 2013, 07:45
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
743 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Volcano....is it worth it??

The quick answer is yes. You will never experience anything else like it. You feel it, smell it and taste it when you are standing on the edge of the crater.

Go for a couple of days, and make sure you are there at dusk to see the lava flow in the dark. It is spectacular.

Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Volcano....is it worth it??

We found overnight would have been enough. We found the expense and long road trip well worth the time and expense for the once in a lifetime experience of being so close to an active volcano with a great guide through evergreen tanna.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Volcano....is it worth it??

Absolutely worth it, Munster. We saw it last year, spending 4 nights on Tanna to make sure we didn't miss out. As the others said, the experience is awesome in the true meaning of the word.

How long do you have in Vanuatu? That is the only problem, if you are strapped for time and a day trip is your only choice, there is the chance it won't happen because of bad weather. If you have time, then spend as much time as you can on Tanna. There is a lot to do and see there other than the volcano.

All the best with your upcoming trip - I only came back home (Adelaide too) a week ago from three weeks in Vanuatu, and I would head back tomorrow if I could.

Cheers, Barbara (barden12)

Sydney
Level Contributor
135 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Volcano....is it worth it??

We found the visit to Tanna to be well worth it - so much to see and do. I'd recommend staying more than 1 night, as you can occasionally get unlucky with the weather. On the night we went up to Yasur it was misty & rainy, and the volcano had low levels of activity. It was still a good experience, but we really wished that we had another day up our sleeve to do a repeat visit to the volcano.

South Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Volcano....is it worth it??

Thank you all so much!! I guess we will be going. :) We ahve 9 days in Vanuatu so we will have time for an over night trip if we chose to. We have booked into our accommodation for all of the nights so we will just have to allow for that, though it does not appear to be all that much extra to stay the night. I have never had the desire to see a volcano...but my partner says its a must.....good to hear the feedback! I CANT WAIT TO GET ON THE PLANE!!!!!!!!! Need a relaxing holiday!!

Again, thanks heaps for your feedback, we will make the trip. :)

7. Re: Volcano....is it worth it??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2014, 05:18