We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Group Airport Transfers

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Group Airport Transfers

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone might be able to offer some advice regarding group airport transfers.

We are getting married in Port Vila in September and have about 35 friends and family going over for our wedding. A number of our guests are travelling on the same flights so we thought it might be cheaper for them (and more convenient) if we arranged group transfers for them - particularly those that are on the flights that arrive really late at night.

I have contacted Melanesian Tours as they are highly recommended on here I noticed someone else on here paid a flat rate for a bus for 12 people and it worked out to be a very good rate per person. They have quoted me 1800 vatu per person per way (for a shared service), which seems a little expensive when a taxi is only 2000-2500 vatu per vehicle. I have asked if they do a flat rate per vehicle/bus for private group transfers and I got a rather confusing reply saying that only do a flat rate in special circumstances.

Each group will have a minimum of 6 people and a maximum of 12 so I would have thought they would be big enough groups for group transfers.

I have since emailed Evergreen Tours (who have quoted 2000 vatu per person per way), and Adventures in Paradise and Atmosphere Tours (awaiting replies from them).

Our accommodation/wedding venue (Erakor Island Resort) have offered to arrange transfers through Around Vanuatu Tours for $15 AUD per person or $30 AUD return, which so far is the cheapest.

But would our guests just be better of sharing a number of taxis?

Any advice would be appreciated! :)

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Group Airport Transfers

1001, Congrats!

It is probably cheaper getting taxis in these circumstances than formal transfers. Its a fixed price for a taxi (these prices are listed as you come into the arrivals hall and its about 2700vt to Erakor wharf) and its for the whole taxi including luggage. So you may fit 4 people with bags in each one depending on how much luggage you have (may have to have some on laps).

Alternatively, ask a local driver with a bus to collect you (and also bring some extra drivers and buses with him). I recommend Tom Simo Ph (678) 7766572. We use him for airport transfers, day trips with guests, Round Island Tours, going out for dinner (he will collect late at night). You can also call him from Australia and get him to get you from the airport. And again, the number of people who can fit in a bus depends on how much luggage you have. With no luggage a bus would fit 12 adults or maybe 7-8 with a bag each.

cheers

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Group Airport Transfers

Thanks for that!

I thought that buses weren't allowed into the airport so I didn't consider it. Do you know how much roughly he would charge?

Am I right in assuming I could only arrange it with him right before? Like the day before? Although that might be ok seeing as we will arrive a few days before our guests (our transfers are provided by the resort for free) so I can call him from Vanuatu to set it up.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Group Airport Transfers

Buses are often around the airport dropping people off and picking others up though its not encouraged unless you have pre booked. You can also walk next door 50m to the domestic terminal and find lots of buses.

Yes just organise it when you arrive if your transfers are included. He is based near Erakor Wharf too. He will give you a quote when you book but no more than 2000vt for the bus load.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
678 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Group Airport Transfers

Hi 1001emmar

I second that congratulations. How exciting to be getting married in such a beautiful location. Erakor Island is so serene.

I used P&L's driver, Tom when I was in Port Vila recently and he has good pricing and turned up on time, so if you do ring him it should be OK.

If you decide to wing it, grab the taxis that are mini buses not cars. You don't have to get into the next one in the line, choose the one that suits your needs. So it might cost 3000vatu for the taxi from the airport (that's a bit of a guess and might be a bit outdated), but you will divide that between 3, 4 or 5 people. Once, there were 5 of us and the driver and some helpers quickly put our luggage to the roof and off we went before we even knew what had happened. I looked behind us the whole way into town expecting something to come flying off the roof, but we got to our destination safely with all our luggage intact.

You and your guests will be fine, there are always taxis waiting at the airport when a flight is in, even late at night. But do make sure to check the price before you get in your transport, just to make sure you all agree.

Good luck

Kerry

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Group Airport Transfers

Thanks to both of you for the advice. That's so cheap really (especially compared to pre-booked transfers with a tour company), so I think we will definitely try and do that. That's also really good to know that some taxis are actually mini buses rather than cars. Taxis can be the back up option as that will still probably work out cheaper than pre-booked transfers.

I have been to Vanuatu before but none of our guests have (and some have never travelled before at all) so some of them are a little nervous and they are spending a fair bit of money to come to our wedding, so we wanted to try and make things as easy and cheap as possible for them.

It was a few years ago now that I was there, so I don't even really remember there being an international AND domestic airport...although I would have used both parts as we went to other islands as well! Fuzzy memory I guess!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
678 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Group Airport Transfers

Once you are there you can always book Tom or another driver and negotiate a price to take you out to the airport to meet your guests on arrival and bring them back to Erakor. That way your guests won't have to stress over organising a taxi, and you won't be worrying about them.

Kerry

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Group Airport Transfers

So good news! Atmosphere have come back with a quote of a flat rate of 6000 vatu per vehicle per trip (and dropping off to a number of different resorts on each trip). This is for up to 15 people per vehicle in their air conditioned minivans. Most of our groups are less than 15 people, but it works out to be about $7-$10 AUD per person per way which I think is very reasonable. And at least I can pre-book it now and not have to worry when we are over there!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
678 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Group Airport Transfers

That sounds like a great deal. Good work. Now you can tick one extra thing off your list.

Kerry

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Group Airport Transfers

I do love ticking things off my list! :)

10. Re: Group Airport Transfers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2014, 07:18