We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Shoes

Which Port Vila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Water Shoes

Is it necessary to wear shoes in the water or beach in Vanuatu, if so are crocs good enough or does one need something different. I was planing to take crocs only but if required it would be cheaper to buy alternatives in Australia before going there.

cheers

Les

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water Shoes

Hi Les,

I would consider it necessary to wear shoes in the water and on the beach - there is a lot of coral and coral cuts are not a good thing. What you wear is up to you but personally I would not wear crocs in the water as I find them too loose. I have a pair of Keens (sandals) that I wear and my husband wears a pair of water shoes. You can buy them here but the quality is not so good and the prices are the same - save yourself the hastle and buy them in Australia before you come.

Enjoy your stay

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water Shoes

I agree with the previous post. Buy aqua shoes. You'll be glad of them, especially if you go to Hideaway Island.

J

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water Shoes

Me three. Go to Kmart or somewhere similar and you can often get water shoes, particularly this time of year, for around $10 a pair. I always use them while swimming and snorkeling, just makes it a lot easier getting over rocks or coral sand. Crocs would just float off while swimming and be more of a nuisance, whereas the water shoes/aqua boots etc stay on and you will forget you're wearing them, except when you really need them. I use them instead of flippers for snorkeling too; they give a little more 'push' while swimming but are lighter to carry and easier to wear in and out of water.

Have a wonderful time - the water in Vanuatu is warm and astonishingly clear.

Cheers, Barbara

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
5,710 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water Shoes

Can't agree with the other posters more reef shoes are essential in the islands and better than crocs, if you can't get them from Kmart try bcf or rays tent city.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water Shoes

Thank you one and all, a trip to BCF this weekend should sort it all out.

cheers

Les

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water Shoes

I bought very comfortable reef shoes on ebay- from the UK! for $14 AU delivered- bargain!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water Shoes

$9 at Kmart earlier this year :)

8. Re: Water Shoes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2014, 06:18