We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help. Devils Point area or Pango area?

Which Port Vila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Zealand
Level Contributor
356 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Help. Devils Point area or Pango area?

Hi

I am trying to decide between two places to stay. We were going to stay on the 2nd Lagoon but now think an ocean location could offer nicer swimming, kayaking and snorkelling. Is this the correct assumption?

I am looking at Angelfish Cove Villas in the Pango area which I believe is near or beside Paradise Cove. Apparantely we can get the public bus easily to and from here which will make it cheaper and convenient to get around. I have read its about 10-15mins out of Villa. What is this area like for swimming, kayaking and snorkelling? Is the water deep enough to just walk out and swim without having to walk way out? What other eating places are walking distance other than Paradise Cove and what is the food like?

The other place I am considering is a holiday rental in Tuktuku Bay beside Devils Point Dive. It looks like a gorgeous spot also but I believe we would need a rental car for some or all of the time if we stayed here. Not sure about driving on the opposite side of the road, haven't done this before. Renting a car would add extra expense to the holiday. Is this area worth it? Apparently the property is about 30 mins drive from Villa. Would this be a realistic driving time and what would it be like driving at night?

How do the two areas compare and would one be preferable to the other? Would love to here from anyone who can give me advise, the pros and cons of both areas, which they would choose and why.

This is our first visit to Vanuatu and it will be over New Year. Cheers Kiwi

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help. Devils Point area or Pango area?

Hi Kiwi,

An ocean front location would certainly offer better swimming and snorkelling than the second lagoon. Kayaking would be better at the second lagoon and better again at the first lagoon. Swimming and snorkelling at the first lagoon is better than a lot of ocean front locations, but not all.

Pango is a top spot for all of the above. However, it is not particularly convenient for bus transport or eating out. Food at Paradise Cove has always been delicious (that which I've eaten).

Devil's point road is about 30mins drive. Pango about 20mins drive. It might be better value to consider a hire car in either situation unless the accommodation provides a free or good value shuttle bus.

Personally, I would choose Pango over Devil's Point Road but I have not stayed at Angelfish Cove, however here is a thread discussion from people who have tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294144-i4912-k441…

Hope this helps,

Jen

New Zealand
Level Contributor
356 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help. Devils Point area or Pango area?

Hi Jen. Thanks for the link to the other post. It was helpful. As to getting around from Angelfish, I believe they will call a bus anytime we need it for a cost of A$3pp day or evening. So I thought this convenient and would save hiring a car.

I think we would love staying on the first lagoon as it seems to be great for all water based activities but most of the accommodation on this lagoon seems to be over our budget. It sounds like it is a great location for everything we want to do.

I still like the look of Angelfish Cove as it offers good value and the accommodation looks lovely. Although, I am starting to wonder if there are maybe too many villas on the land area and that when full, which it likely will be over New Year, the property may not be that appealing. Hard to get everything when you are trying to do it within a budget!

The rental property looks perfect, I just wish it wasn't so far out. Cheers Kiwi

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help. Devils Point area or Pango area?

Well I'd check if that $3pp is for them to call you a bus only or if it includes the actual bus fare. If it does then that's good value.

Also suss out these reviews - tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

Not sure of your budget but these guys are pretty good value. We had a couple of weeks there one January and were quite happy with it.

Otherwise, especially if the $3pp includes bus fare, I'd certainly give Angelfish a go.

Pango is a lovely area.

Jen

New Zealand
Level Contributor
356 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help. Devils Point area or Pango area?

Approx A$3pp one way is the cost of the fare. I believe there is no cost to organise the bus. Cheers Kiwi

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help. Devils Point area or Pango area?

From Pango you can get a bus to Breakas, Le Lagon, Erakor or Les Jardin Des Saveur for a meal too instead of going right into town. The Pango Road varies depending how recently they have graded it but your bus journey could extend to 30mins easily if you get a driver who is very careful around the potholes. Pango is less isolated than Devils Point and the beach a bit more sheltered.

Have fun!

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help. Devils Point area or Pango area?

Kiwi, if you want to use local buses, it will be much easier if you are in Pango. It should only cost you 150 vatu per person per trip. Local buses are a great way to get around and meet locals and they are generally very safe except I would caution against women catching them alone at night. Pango is a really nice spot with some good swimming and snorkelling. Devils Point is a gorgeous spot but is further out and the road before Mele (which is on the way) is very rough with huge potholes at the moment. Driving at night is fine but there are no street lights and it is often hard to see the potholes and the people walking on the side of the road. However, there are no issues with you driving very slowly if you are nervous, road rage is not an issue in Vanuatu! Enjoy your stay!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
356 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help. Devils Point area or Pango area?

Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice. Pango sounds lovely so we have decided to go with this area as it will work out much cheaper using the local bus. The deciding factor was the cost of the rental car. Much prefer to spend the money on other things while we are there. Cheers Kiwi

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help. Devils Point area or Pango area?

Good point P&L. There are quite a few good spots to visit without going right into town.

J

Port Vila
Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help. Devils Point area or Pango area?

I actually live in Pango and it is not far out at all! Being 'far out' in Port Vila is relative and not always a bad thing; town tends to be pretty busy and the 150vu bus ride is a great start to the day. Snorkelling in this area is exceptional and while I'm a certified diver, I haven't found it necessary to actually dive! There are a couple of restaurants in the area; Conquistadors near the church offers some good meals if you're on a budget.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
356 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help. Devils Point area or Pango area?

Thanks for that info Cass. I'm really excited about the snorkelling now. Usually we have to pay to go on snorkelling day tours when we travel so it will be a bonus just being able to do it for nothing right where we are staying. We are quite happy to be out of the town area but still wanted easy cheap access via the bus. The area sounds perfect. Thanks for the heads up about the Restaurant we will give it a try . Cheers Kathryn