We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dinner tonight- japanese/ thai ?

Which Port Vila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
dinner tonight- japanese/ thai ?

Any recommendations? I'm GF so avoid thickened meals- eg curry. Look for fresh, food- fism, meat , chicken all good. veg & salad, stir fry etc

Thanking you in anticipation!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dinner tonight- japanese/ thai ?

You cant go past fresh sashimi at Kanpai. It on the right as you head down the wharf road (a bus driver will know where it is).

Another good one is The Golden Port, also on the right as you head up the hill on the main street heading towards Au Bon Marche Numbatu. They do great fresh chinese style mud crab (cheap compared to Melbs) and use local veg, what ever is in season. Just explain that you are GF.

Enjoy

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dinner tonight- japanese/ thai ?

There is also a new Thai opened up next to the Menzies Apartments (ask the bus driver to take you to Menzies, it is next door, you can't miss it)- great views. It is run by the lady who used to run the Thai in Nambatu which I think was called Kelsorns? I have heard good reviews from some people. I will also second the review of Kanpai - we had lunch there yesterday and I had the Lunch Box which was excellent and it is available for dinner as well.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dinner tonight- japanese/ thai ?

Thank you- I was searching for that address- was given thumbs up in Lonely planet-but couldn't find where she had moved to. Local paper advised she had moved from Exotic Thai- but not where to LOL went to Golden Port last night- bus driver had no idea where it was!- I knew I'd seen it on way to PV- so all ended well. Fabulous location- sunset over harbour. They struggled with concept of GF- didn't know what flour used in dumplings, wontons or dim sim.And, surprisingly import spring rolls from Oz.. I managed to pick my way around menu- meal was good-chinese eye fillet sizzle & husband very happy with dim sims & chicken & cashew

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dinner tonight- japanese/ thai ?

Report in local Leader- the renowned Thai restaurant is at The Lookout restaurant- which, frustratingly, I have driven past! Too late for me- may be helpful for another traveller

5. Re: dinner tonight- japanese/ thai ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 06:18