We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recommendations for family holiday - Port Villa - 7 days

Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
recommendations for family holiday - Port Villa - 7 days

Hello,

I have a few questions -

I was wonderring if anyone has recommendations for day trips from Port villa? Would like to get away from touristy spots and see real vanuatu.

My 10 year old's one request is to spend a day exploring on a "deserted island" with a beautiful beach and not many people!.

Restaurants that people recommend in Port Villa ?- not keen on chips and burgers

Should we be careful about avoiding poisoning from reef fish?

Should I bring any food from home for self catering that will be hard to get in shops?

Thankyou everyone

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,494 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: recommendations for family holiday - Port Villa - 7 days

Hi emered

A good family day trip (and educational for kids too) is Lelepa Island http://www.lelepaislandtours.com

They will collect you and drive you about 45 mins to the boat to start the tour up near Havannah Harbour.

Another one is www.southpacdivecruise.com.vu/coongoola.html

You could also do a round island tour (we use Tom Simo for taking visitors around the island to villages, schools and nice swimming spots such as the blue lagoon) airport transfers etc. Call him on (678) 7766572.

The best restaurant by far is Les Jardin des Saveurs (near Le Lagon resort). Another good one is Aquana Resort (the kids can swim there too, its about 20mins out of town), The Wahoo restaurant is also near Havannah harbour. In town the kids would probably enjoy tex mex, ribs, steak etc at The Warhorse on the Wharf Rd.

You wont be eating the risky types of reef fish at restaurants. Only some fish are prone to it and only when coral is spawning.

The main supermarkets are Au Bon Marche at Numbatu (ask a driver to take you) and also Leader Price (which is more like Aldi..bring your own shopping bag). You can get some great bargains for fruit/veg at the markets in the main street. Unless you have particular dietary requirements you will find everything you want at the supermarkets including great fresh coffee, cheap organic meat, fresh tuna & poulet fish. Prices for imported goods are about 10% more than Australia.

Have fun !

Mentioned in this post
Lelepa Island Day Tour
Lelepa Island Day Tour
365 Reviews
Efate, Vanuatu
The Havannah, Vanuatu
The Havannah, Vanuatu
618 Reviews
Efate, Vanuatu
Aquana Beach Resort
Aquana Beach Resort
321 Reviews
Efate, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: recommendations for family holiday - Port Villa - 7 days

Thanks so much, that is really helpful.

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: recommendations for family holiday - Port Villa - 7 days

Another day trip to a deserted island you may want to try is Pele Island. Evergreen run day trips to Pele where you can snorkel and explore the island. Pele has white sand beaches and beautiful clear blue water and is a great place to spend the day.

Mentioned in this post
Pele Island
Pele Island
89 Reviews
Pele Island, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: recommendations for family holiday - Port Villa - 7 days

Thank you

bribie island
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: recommendations for family holiday - Port Villa - 7 days

A restaurant my daughter and I loved was Chill which is right in town near the fruit markets, upstairs and you look down and see all the fish in the water below and have the view over to Iririki. Meals were a great price, I think steak and veges and a drink for $12 special at lunchtime. Steak was very tender. I was told it is the only air conditioned restaurant so popular in summer. We also had a great meal at Iririki by the pool. You pay $15 each to go there on the boat but that gives you $15 to spend at the resort so we got a seafood basket and it was lovely.

6. Re: recommendations for family holiday - Port Villa - 7 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2014, 06:21