We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few general questions as it's our first time to Vanuatu!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
A few general questions as it's our first time to Vanuatu!

Hi,

We are just booking a week in Port Vila in July and are very excited.

We have two boys with us, 7 and 4. I was wondering firstly if we go to the Mele cascades will my 4 year old be able to climb up the falls or is it too tricky? If not can we walk up a path to the top to meet those climbing? How long would that take?

Secondly as we are staying in apartments is the supermarkets stocked with familiar brands so for instance Heinz baked beans, Kelloggs cereal etc? I have a very fussy eater so need to know if i can get certain foods. Also can you take food into the country, things like tins of tuna, snack bars etc?

Thanks in advance

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
803 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few general questions as it's our first time to Vanuatu!

Sarah,

Have you had a chance to look at the "Top questions about Port Vila" section to the right?

I have no idea of how healthy or dexterous your 4 year old is, so I would struggle to give you that advice. Needless to say, it's a walk that requires some fitness and strength, and the ability to get wet. I am unaware of any other path you could take to get to the top - other than driving to the top, and abseiling down.

I have never seen Heinz baked beans or Kelloggs stuff in the supermarkets, but then I wasn't looking. Suggest you run with what you can find - after-all travel broadens the mind and palate. You and they won't starve.

I'm not going to advise you on what food you can take into the country - you should do your own inquiries with the Vanuatu authorities. I cant understand why anyone would want to carry food in their luggage - you're on holidays aren't you??

It would probably assist if you could advise exactly where you are staying.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few general questions as it's our first time to Vanuatu!

Sarah

Yes you can get cans of beans and other common child fodder at Au Bon Marche at Numbatu (and any other branch probably). You will get a lot of brands you recognise plus some you won't (French and asian brands) so just don't let the children see the labels if you cant find the exact thing they are used to. You can get tinned fish, instant noodles, tinned and packaged meals and most things available in Australian supermarkets. One thing you wont get is fresh milk .....its all UHT imported tetra packs as there are no commercial dairies. So they may prefer french bread, toast or fresh tropical fruit for breakfast. As Grahame said, there is absolutely no need to import food.

Your kids may need you to hold their hands in the water crossings at the Cascades. It isnt really a climb as such. Its a path with a few water crossings and stairs. When you pay your entry fee you can also ask if there are some staff up top to help kids (there often are). Or just piggy back the kids across the bits that they find hard (if they do) there are ropes to hold onto when you walk through the water but it isn't deep. You will probably find they scamper up faster than you. There are many pools to swim in on the way up to the main falls too.

Have fun!

Edited: 13 January 2014, 09:10
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few general questions as it's our first time to Vanuatu!

Thank you peace and light, the waterfalls sound like a lot of fun and easy enough for us all to walk up then. Glad to know I can get the basics for my 4 yr old too, thanks for that advice.

Grahame - perhaps you haven't had to deal with a fussy child like mine, taking food on a holiday is the best way to ensure we have a relaxing time and not have to worry about him refusing food. We are looking forward to a stress free trip and agree travel does broaden the mind and palate, just not our 4 year olds palate unfortunately.

Edited: 13 January 2014, 09:42
4. Re: A few general questions as it's our first time to Vanuatu!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2015, 05:18