We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In-Di-Go Cottage Holiday Rental

Which Port Vila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mackay, Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
In-Di-Go Cottage Holiday Rental

We enquired about availability for October for this house, and yippee it was available. There were no reviews from previous guests on either flip key.com or trip adviser. I decided to pay via this site, as trip adviser has insurance protection. The owner had emailed me their bank details, but i didn't feel comfortable transferring a large amount of money to someone i don't know.

I explained my reasoning behind paying via trip adviser, but she wasn't happy. It just got worse from there, and she was rather rude. I am glad we are not staying there now.

We are now staying with another company, that has heaps of great reviews and is also in an awesome location!

These are her replies:

Well you are going to have to explain this to us, because we have no idea what Trip Advisor has to do with Holiday Houses. How do we get paid???

Thanks,

Mal’Lee.

Don’t you think it would have been courteous to tell me what you wanted to do. Rather than change the company that you enquired through??? Now there are additional fees. Once we know how much this is going to cost I will let you know.

Trust is a two way street, we have to trust you not to trash our home. We have a hell of a lot more to lose, than $1100.00.

All you had to do is talk to me about this, I would have given you past guests email addresses. This leaves a rather disappointing taste.

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In-Di-Go Cottage Holiday Rental

Oh dear but then I'm not surprised, hope you have a great time in Vila.

Carrum Downs...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: In-Di-Go Cottage Holiday Rental

I looked at that one too so I'm glad to read this review before booking.

Do you mind if I ask where you have now booked, and who you booked through?

North Mackay...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In-Di-Go Cottage Holiday Rental

have sent you a private message.. but we booked thru Quest Apartments. www.quest.vu

$125 per night for 2 bedroom apartment including breakfast for 3 of us and wi fi..

Brisbane
Level Contributor
188 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In-Di-Go Cottage Holiday Rental

So who are you maligning here? The cottage or the manager? You didn't book the cottage, so you can't be derogatory about that. The email the manager sent you was perfectly acceptable. Reading between the lines of the managers email, it appears you inquired through one website, then without telling the manager, you pay via Flipkey. There's 2 sides to every story, we are only hearing your side. If you mucked me around like you did to this person, my email would have been much stronger. Your loss, the cottage looks great.

North Mackay...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In-Di-Go Cottage Holiday Rental

Edited: 23 September 2014, 06:24
Mackay, Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In-Di-Go Cottage Holiday Rental

the cottage is just what we were after. However, the manager couldn't quite understand why i wanted to pay via a secure method, rather than paying her direct via bank account. I am pretty sure i am within my rights to want to pay via a secure method. I didn't muck her around as you put it, i simply paid as soon as i booked via the flip key site i had enquired through.

And now i have had to block this person from emailing me constantly, harassing me. Although, i am sure you are aware of this.

so in theory, i did everything right without mucking her around. I enquired about dates, i booked, i paid. END OF STORY.

vanuatu
Level Contributor
320 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: In-Di-Go Cottage Holiday Rental

Hi

When I completed construction of my little holiday rental business early 2009 there were only 8 properties in the "Specialty lodging" section of Tripadvisor and the "Holiday rental" section didn't even exist back then.

I cleaned up by raising the bar professionally being pretty much booked out first four years of operation and consistently rated number one on Tripadvisor.

NOW there are "32" properties listed in the "Specialty lodgings" and god knows how many "Holiday rentals".

They say the greatest compliment is to copy......Most have spent a small fortune and I can guarantee that most are empty most of the time.

It's dog eat dog in the holiday rental business in Vanuatu.

All I'm saying is it's a buyers market and bargains are there for the taking.

No need to settle for second best.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In-Di-Go Cottage Holiday Rental

The In-Di-Go people probably hadn't been told by TripAdvisor that people could pay via them rather than direct as it was a new service. Hence their question of how they get paid from TripAdvisor….

I would suggest your issue is with TA admin rather than the cottage owners who obviously were not aware of the new facility provided to them? Communication issues all round.

I would feel it was less risk dealing with accommodation owners directly rather than through a generic booking engine. After all…you know where they live! And your own travel insurance would also cover you if payments got lost in the ether anyways. In that way all methods of payment open to you were secure particularly if you were transferring money from your AU acct to their VU acct.

Have fun anyway!

Mackay, Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In-Di-Go Cottage Holiday Rental

this was another reason i wanted to pay via a reputable source, instead of direct to the owner. I could not find anywhere on the internet any reviews from previous customers that has stayed. Hence why paying a third party felt safer. Yet i was told by owner she could send me some emails from previous people who had stayed in the accommodation. However, with fraud so rampant these days, anyone could have written these emails. Hence my wanting to pay via third party to feel safe with my money.

Peace and Light - i don't feel safe paying the owners, as i don't know where they exactly live, and i don't know if this house is real. As silly as that sounds, there is too much fraud going on in the world.

Tamborine Mountain...
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: In-Di-Go Cottage Holiday Rental

Hi there just wanted to add that we stayed there August and loved it. We didn't have any problems with the managers/owners and they were pleasant to deal with. Really enjoyed our holiday in the cottage, it had everything we needed, was very clean, with comfortable beds, loved the kitchen with its granite tops....and close to the beach. It wasn't hard to get into town with the many mini buses, and cheap! We will be rebooking for next year and have told our friends about the cottage too. Would recommend this anyday.