We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nyiragongo closure

Zanzibar Island...
2 posts
Save Topic
Nyiragongo closure

Hi

Myself and a friend are planning a trip to the DRC in July, we are planning to enter through Gisenyi/Goma and exit through Uvira/Bujumbura. We want to climb the volcano, and go to see the gorillas in the Virunga national park.

I have exchanged emails with a tour company in the region who say that the volcano is currently closed to visitors as there is an operation in place to remove illegal woodcutters from the region. Has anybody else heard about this?

Also their prices were a bit more expensive that I imagined.

I'm thinking that it may be better just to turn up in Goma with our visas and hotel bookings etc and then try to organise things from there.

I've read in several places that permits to climb the volcano are $100 and permits to see the gorillas are $300, can anybody confirm this?

Can anybody recomend where would be a good starting point in Goma to organise such a trip on a low budget?

Thanks.

Goma, Democratic...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Nyiragongo closure

Hi there!

Just to confirm that the Volcano is closed to visitors; until further notice AFAIK. Although I live in Goma, I never heard anything about woodcutters, but sure; everything is possible. (I would think it more probable that the operation was to remove other illegal groups hanging around in the National Park, but never mind...)

As for the entry fee, I had heard USD 100 as well but according to http://wikitravel.org/en/Goma#Do it is now USD 200... :(

Anyway; Goma is great and definitely worth a visit; and the boat ride down to Bukavu is beautiful.

Karibu sana!

Zanzibar Island...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nyiragongo closure

Ahsante kwa ushauri wako.

As the park is currently closed we want to get our visas issued before arriving in the DRC and then after arriving in Goma we can see what is the current situation and make plans accordingly.

To get the visa in advance we need a letter of invitation and a proof of accommodation upon arrival in Goma.

I have contacted several tou companies but they have been a little slow in replying.

Do you know which hotels are issuing legalised reservations and who may be able to issue a letter of invitation?

Ahsante tena.

gold coast australia
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nyiragongo closure

I climbed Nyiragongo a couple weeks ago after crossing at Goma. The volcano is not closed. Had to pay US$300 and wait six hours at border to get across. The DRC embassy in Kigali refused to give me a visa. My friend and I planned to stay 3 nights atop the volcano and the guide and porters we hired agreed, but once we got there they demanded that we head back down early the next morning after only one night. There are new, comfortable cabins to stay in at the summit. The main hazard (aside from ripoffs!) is lightning high on the mountain. I've posted some of my pics of the lava lake at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikelyvers/

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
41 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nyiragongo closure

Not sure where some of you people get your info - eivhors in particular.

I climbed the mountain 2 weeks ago, so why do you say it is closed?! It is definitely open!

A wonderful trip - I can't reccomend it highly enough.

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
9 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nyiragongo closure

The Nyiragongo is most definitely open right now so if anyone would like to climb it please do.

You can now also get a tourism visa for $50 online at www.visitvirunga.org.

Please note this visa is single entry and only valid for 14 days. As it is new at the moment it is only accepted at the gyseni and bunagana border entry points.

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
9 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nyiragongo closure

Hi,

I would like to confirm that the Nyiragongo Volcano is most definitely open and it costs $200 to climb and stay the night in one of the shelters at the summit. You can purchase your permits online at

www.visitvirunga.org

Here you can also purchase your mountain gorilla permits for $400 and a 14 day tourism visa for $50.

Goma, Democratic...
Level Contributor
17 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nyiragongo closure

Hi everybody!

The Nyiragonogo volcano is open; Virunga Park will be opening again soon and hopefully the visa fee would also be the same $50/-

We are trying our best to chalk out some tourist attractions. Stay tuned.

Ali Vazir

Jeffery Travels SPRL - Goma

ali@jefferytravels.com

Cell: +243-81-9748012

8. Re: Nyiragongo closure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2015, 20:16
Get answers to your questions about Democratic Republic of...