We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Approximately how much cash for a 4 week trip?

vancouver
Level Contributor
359 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Approximately how much cash for a 4 week trip?

I'm spending 4 weeks in Myanmar and trying to figure out approximately how much cash I might need in advance (by advance I mean at the airport on arrival) and in total (topping up via ATM where possible). And the split between how much of that should be kyat and how much US dollars and when it might be possible to use a credit card.

I'm assuming all buses, taxis, food will be in Kyat.

I'm staying in hotels in the $30-$50 range, what's the chance of any of these taking credit card as payment? If not I presume Kyat will be needed for payment for these too.

I'm assuming ATMs and money exchange will be no problem to find in the main touristic places, but will any of these less touristic places have readily availability of ATMs:

- Monywa

- Mawlamyine

- Hpa An

- Yenangyaung

In case I can't find an ATM, or my card doesn't work, might I be able to find dollar to kyat money exchange places in the above 4.

13 replies to this topic
Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Approximately how much cash for a 4 week trip?

not excessive or penniless. I would suggest $15 for your daily meals. I don't know how you planned for daily logistics. What I can be assured of that Myanmar is cheap to travel as long as you are not thinking to join fine-dinning or gourmet restaurants, sky bars and blah blah.

ATMs are mostly there with Banks. Monywa & Mawlamyine are big cities, needless to worry about Banks. Hpaan and Yenanchaung....hmmm......banks are there. No worry. Just a matter is data connection down, ATM are just to display. I would suggest to hold cash either for secure.

US notes are ok major touristic cities, kyats in small towns however.

Good Luck,

KP

Edited: 16 October 2017, 04:33
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Approximately how much cash for a 4 week trip?

Hi. We also have a 4 week trip planned and have veered away from bringing very little hard cash and just using the ATM cash dispensers to the following....Bringing 1000 USD in 100/50 dollar bills and changing amounts into Kyats at the internal airports (we have a few internal flights booked) . We will also top up from ATM with our UK bank card when required ( contact my bank prior to leaving the UK) and also have a Visa card with us as back up. So we have 3 different options regarding money issues.

Over the years our daily expenses when travellling around SE Asia probably average out at about 75 USD/ day for food and drink ( we both like a drink or two) and the odd trip/ transport , so roughly 50 GBP / day for both of us ( man and wife). Our accommodation including breakfast and flights is already accounted for. Those prices aren't set in stone because obviously when visiting places like Singapore we spend much more. Everybody is different, we don't work to a budget and can have what we want but that's how our spending averages out in general. We eat at both street side restaurants and nice hotels. We aren't back packers, we are in our 50s and don't really have to work to a strict budget. Hope this helps, have a good trip.

Den Haag
Level Contributor
2,211 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Approximately how much cash for a 4 week trip?

Your hotels in the $30-$50 range will most probably not take credit card as payment - even internet is quite slow and there can be (long) blackouts. Cash is king and exchange is very easy.

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
6,746 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Approximately how much cash for a 4 week trip?

Always difficult to judge other people's expenses but my wife and i were there last year for two weeks and we got by on about $800 which included buses from Yangon-Mandalay-Pyin Oo Lwin-Yangon, eating at inexpensive restaurants. Our accommodation was already paid for.

vancouver
Level Contributor
359 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Approximately how much cash for a 4 week trip?

Thanks for the replies.

Is there anything left these days that is paid for in $ ?

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
6,746 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Approximately how much cash for a 4 week trip?

We paid one bus trip in $ as the company requested (but they would have accepted kyat) and we paid for one of our GH in $, and that was it !

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Approximately how much cash for a 4 week trip?

Simply prepay you accommodation through a booking website like Orbitz, Agoda, etc. That way you don't have to worry about getting that cash out and it will usually be cheaper too because sites like Orbitz always have 15% off coupon code you can use if you prepay.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,648 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Approximately how much cash for a 4 week trip?

You can book rooms online but often it's cheaper to book direct, sometimes by a considerable amount but then you have the hassle of paying in cash, some online rooms are well over priced. Some Hotels will take US$s as payment. If they take credit cards there will often be a fee of around 3%. Food and buses are cheap. If paying $50 for rooms I would double that for the rest.

Langhorne...
Level Contributor
346 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Approximately how much cash for a 4 week trip?

I followed the usual advice about $100 & $50 bills, etc. I was there for a month and didn't spend or exchange even one dollar of it.

Kyats everywhere; even if a place quotes you in dollars, pay them in kyat. Never was I refused; that happened only a couple times.

I have a no-fee ATM, so happily withdrew small amounts whenever I chose. Hit the ATM at the airport and top up from there. USD as last resort for exchange.

One place I can speak to--Yenangyuang; if you're staying at Lei Thar Gone you really won't have an opportunity to spend much---any??--money outside the guesthouse. Plus they take cards.

I stayed in many hotels/guesthouses in your range and almost every one accepted credit cards. I booked whenever possible online in advance.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Approximately how much cash for a 4 week trip?

Thanks Christopher, I have a Santander no fee cash card which we use when abroad/ SE Asia/India etc. You will still be charged fior withdrawing money by the ATM though won't you?

Reply to: Approximately how much cash for a 4 week trip?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted