We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family friendly route suggestion pls - 2.5 weeks from Yangon

10 posts
Save Topic
Family friendly route suggestion pls - 2.5 weeks from Yangon

We are backpacking parents with two kids (9 & 8 years) . What are fun things to do for 2.5 weeks? Nothing off the beaten track. Currently in the plan is of course Yongan and Bagan and the lake. Any good family hotels? Anything to prepare except vaccinations?

Thanks Christina

10 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,650 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family friendly route suggestion pls - 2.5 weeks from Yangon

How much budget for Hotels?

When are you going?

Which country are you from, you will probably need a visa.

10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Family friendly route suggestion pls - 2.5 weeks from Yangon

Is 600 USD realistic ? we only need en suite simple clean family rooms -no fuzz. 27-13 Jan. We are from England but have British and German passports in the family.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,650 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family friendly route suggestion pls - 2.5 weeks from Yangon

$600 just for rooms is about $35 per night. It is very tight for Myanmar at that time of year. In Yangon doubt you will get anything under $30 for an ensuite double, family rooms are a bit hard to find. Rooms in Myanmar are not such good value as countries like Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos.

Best I can see in Yangon is Crystal Palace Hotel, family room is about $50. In Bagan, Crown Prince is about $56. Inle, Three Seasons Inn & Spa is about $40. Try doing a search on booking.com for rooms 2 adults and 2 children, that will give you a better idea of prices.

Den Haag
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family friendly route suggestion pls - 2.5 weeks from Yangon

Totally agree with Ray, because rooms are small below the 50$ mark you will heve to rent two rooms in most cases. Myanmar is getting cheaper after the big hype, but Bagan and Yongan are rather expensive.

Three Seasons Inn has large rooms for 20$ each but I think you will want two rooms there. Nice place with good large showers, but no spa. Inle is cheaper, also because you need no AC at all but more blankets;-)

Toronto
Level Contributor
51 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family friendly route suggestion pls - 2.5 weeks from Yangon

Just got back from two weeks. Mandalay is not worth much, but the day boat trip from Mandalay to Bagan was a lot of fun - RV Panorama.

Inle Lake was a real experience - budget K25,000 for a boat and driver for the day and the local town NyaungShwe was the most walkable place we stayed in - decent central market and not too crowded.

See if you can get to Ngapali Beach - it is fab and it looked like there were some reasonably priced hotels across the road from the beachfront hotels. We loved it there.

If you prefer wine to beer, start practising honing your beer taste buds because there is little drinkable wine to be had. Local liquors are mostly cheap and awful (particularly the rum) but I was told that they do a passable imitation of gin and tonic water is everywhere.

10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Family friendly route suggestion pls - 2.5 weeks from Yangon

Thanks .. very useful ,I am wine drinker...:-))

10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Family friendly route suggestion pls - 2.5 weeks from Yangon

Thank you!

10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Family friendly route suggestion pls - 2.5 weeks from Yangon

Thank you!!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,650 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family friendly route suggestion pls - 2.5 weeks from Yangon

I thought the Rum was quite good, similar to Tanduay, most certainly ok in coke and its dirt cheap, hardly any more than the beer. I would avoid the wine. Did not try the gin.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
17,501 posts
404 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family friendly route suggestion pls - 2.5 weeks from Yangon

Local wine-Red Mountain-is fine but expensive @$15 a bottle but Gin & White Rum,local Whiskey and Mandalay Rum are cheap and good with a mixer

SS

Reply to: Family friendly route suggestion pls - 2.5 weeks from Yangon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted