We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning trip to Myanmar - pls help with recommendations

San Francisco
Level Contributor
21 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Planning trip to Myanmar - pls help with recommendations

Hello,

I am planning a trip to Myanmar in December. This is my first time to Myanmar, but I desperately want to do a self-trip as opposed to a guided tour. So far my itinerary looks like this:

Dec 24: Arrive afternoon. Overnight in Yangon

Dec 25: Early morning flight to Mandalay. Overnight

Dec 26: Mandalay

Dec 27: Afternoon flight to Inle Lake, Overnight

Dec 28: Inle Lake

Dec 29: Afternoon flight to Bagan. Overnight

Dec 30: Bagan

Dec 31: Bagan

Jan 1: Afternoon flight to Yangon. Overnight

Jan 2: Depart

I'm mostly interested in cultural/historical places and will come up with my own list of things to do. However, I'd like a recommendation for

* How to book hotels, ideally in some central way - some hotels have web sites and allow online reservations, others don't. I've read a couple of posts here that point to Radiant Tours, but their site has not been updated since 2008. I want to find mid-range hotels, so would appreciate pointers on the best way to book them (I guess I can contact each hotel separately and do reservations via email, but is there an easier way?)

* Once I arrive to a particular city, how can I find an English speaking driver whom I can hire for the entire duration to take me to different places? Or do you still recommend getting a local tour guide who can take me around? Since I'll be mostly sigh-seeing, I'd like to have the driver for the entire day from sunrise to sunset, literally. How much a driver/tour guide would cost per day (not an 8hrs, but a full day to pick me up before sunrise and drop me off after sunset)? I'd appreciate a pointer or two to good local guides/drivers (self-promotion is OK as long as you've been contributing here for a while ;-)

* How can I book airfare in Myanmar? Some recommend just booking once I arrive to Yangon airport. Considering I will be traveling high-season, is it still recommended?

* Is there an alternative to flying between these places? I don't want to spend a full day in a car driving between places, but a couple hours would be ok.

Thanks for your help...

Mentioned in this post
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon Region, Myanmar
Mandalay
Mandalay
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Inle Lake
Inle Lake
2,352 Reviews
Nyaungshwe, Myanmar
Bagan
Bagan
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
yangon
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Planning trip to Myanmar - pls help with recommendations

The guide cost become 100 is because the travel agency added all cost to you which they spent on guides .

Usually the guide get 20~25 per day, plus , their airtickets plus accommadation for them plus meals allowance plus agency profit and become USD 100 dollars. This guide will follow you starting from the Yangon till end of your trip.

If you ask for the local town guide , you will get with 20~25 only but every town , you have to deal with difference guides.

Yangon
Level Contributor
100 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Planning trip to Myanmar - pls help with recommendations

A trip here in Myanmar can be as cheap, or expensive as you want it to be. If you are looking for 2 - 5 star hotels you're probably better off booking everything (flights / accommodation / day tours etc) through one agency to keep things simple and benefit from their agent rates. I would recommend Mr Myanmar Travel (mrmyanmarbookings@gmail.com). Very reliable and knowledgeable. If you need a driver / guide, arrange one in advance when you book stating that you want an English speaker ... if you leave it until arrival in the high season you may not get an English speaker. A boat from Mandalay - Bagan is a good idea as the drive is rather long and dull.

Also, consider a balloon trip in Bagan. Expensive, but fantastic.

Mentioned in this post
Mandalay
Mandalay
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Bagan
Bagan
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
43. Re: Planning trip to Myanmar - pls help with recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2010, 05:16