We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tour program or Hire a tour guide?

Florida
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
tour program or Hire a tour guide?

Hello. I was wondering which would be better. Should I book with the tour program that include everything; taxi, tour guides, and hotel or should I hire a tour guide?

I read that hiring a tour guide would be better because there won't be a strict schedule and won't be rush. However, we would like to go to so many places in 14 days such as Kyaikhtiyo, Bagan, Mt. Popa, Mandalay,Pyin Oo Lwin, Pindaya, Inlay Lake, and Ngwe Saung Beach.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Australia
Level Contributor
433 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tour program or Hire a tour guide?

We went with a company called Myanmar Shalom last November. They were absolutely brilliant. Extremely reasonable price for the wonderful way they looked after us. Everything was on time, guides were all English speaking and lovely blokes. Could not possibly recommend them highly enough. We did 8 days and as we like to travel independently this seemed a great way to do it, as we just told them where we wanted to go and they worked out a plan for us, we changed a couple of things and presto....trip of a lifetime. We went to Inle, Bagan, Mandalay (loved it there) beginning and ending in Yangon. www.myanmarshalom.com Contact them for a price. You'll be very surprised. They arranged the hotels, transport and guides and checked on our travels with the drivers etc all the way to ensure we had no problems. Great way to "independently" travel as you could stop for as long as you wanted or as little. We also paid them direct through their office in New York prior to arriving in Yangon. We felt this was better than having to take all the cash with us. Also that way all we had to keep cash for was incidentals and food. We'd met a few people who'd run out of money travelling through Myanmar and had to cut short their trip. Easy to work out how much you needed this way. Bye for now..pambo

Yangon, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon)
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: tour program or Hire a tour guide?

Hi,

It depends on the guide which you hired. Some of them are acting as guide / tour operator and they know how to plan a trip. Most of them are freelance guide. They have some partner agencies and can book all through those agencies.

Anyhow prior arrangement is recommended for several places within two weeks.

spain
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tour program or Hire a tour guide?

Let us give you our guide mail also mawwatcher@gmail.com

yangon
Level Contributor
172 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tour program or Hire a tour guide?

hello, when you visit Myanmar, you should really need a guide as there are alot of different things you should know here.And make you meet with Local people. Make you see the different local lives.

I am doing here as a licensed tour guide. frankly to say i am just new flesh blood in tourism role anyway , if you have any question, i can recommend you.

Do not hesitate to ask question.

Stay healthy

5. Re: tour program or Hire a tour guide?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2010, 05:24