We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days in Myanmar, need suggestions on schedule

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
296 posts
1 review
Save Topic
6 days in Myanmar, need suggestions on schedule

I know 6 days will not be enough, but it could not take more days off work. My first plan was to visit Yangwoon and Bagan, but a friend told me I might have time for Inle Lake also.

Can someone suggest a schedule? I want to take inland flights to save time as they seem to be not too expensive.

- Which airline should I choose?

- Should I fly into inle lake first or Bagan?

And how many days should i stay in bagan? I only spent one day on Angkor wat and that was enough for me.

Yangon, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon)
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days in Myanmar, need suggestions on schedule

You better fly first to Bagan. Most of the morning flights do as clockwise Ygn-Bagan-Mandalay-Heho. Not to waste the time.

You can fly with either Air Bagan or Yangon Airways. Keep away from Air Mandalay as they have only one aeroplane at the moment and might have difficulties for relieving.

Suggestive Itinerary

Day 1 Arrival, Yangon Sightseeing

Day 2 Fly to Bagan, Bagan Sightseeing

Day 3 Bagan-Heho ( morning flight ), Heho-Pindaya-Inle

Day 4 Inle Lake Sightseeing

Day 5 Fly back to Yangon and continue Ygn sightseeing

Day 6 Departure

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
296 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days in Myanmar, need suggestions on schedule

Then my next question is whether I should book online, with a travel agent in Bangkok or wait until I arrive in Yangon? I've heard they keep changing the schedule so perhaps it is better to wait. Also i am not sure how reliable the online booking is as you can only make inqueries it seems.

Your schedule seems good. I arrive 1735 the first day so I will have some time in the evening to just walk around in Yangon. On my departure day i leave 1805.

Should I stay downtown or close to the airport as I will take the early flight the date after?

Also it seems to be that the best sights are Bangan, then Inle, then Mandayal...?

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days in Myanmar, need suggestions on schedule

hansen275 - Hi, if I was kkym I'd ignore your last post. The least you could do is thank him for answering your first post before posing more searching questions.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
296 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 days in Myanmar, need suggestions on schedule

I agree with you on the first. So thanks for answering :)

Also, I have tried the search function and it does not generate very good results.

Anyway, why are you here if you intend to spread negative energy like that? Why waste your time?

yangon
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 days in Myanmar, need suggestions on schedule

When will you intend to come ? If it is in November to March , you better book first for tickets . If you want to stay in quality hotel , then , you go through local agent too.

Local agent will ask you to transfer money to either Singapore or Thailand bank account with their own name. However , you don't need to worry about it. You can search on line which agent will reliable.

Diethelm , Indo China Service , Asia Trails have Bangkok office and they operate here too.

Yangon, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon)
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 days in Myanmar, need suggestions on schedule

I am sorry. No idea about the agents in Bangkok.

You better book through a local agent. You arrive at 17:35, almost the business hour is finished. Then you are going to move on the next day early morning. Book through a travel agent and let them come and meet you at the airport.

Recommend to stay in the city. You still have enough time to go and see the Shwedagon Pagoda and night life of Ygn. The pagoda opens up to 10:00 pm.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 days in Myanmar, need suggestions on schedule

I agree with kkym #6. Book thru an agent in Yangon. But 1st take a look at the schedules of Yangon Air, Air Mandala, Air Bagan to have a rough idea of the flight times.. So you can roughly plan your program. Also your month of travel as time of sunset varies thru the year. To me to enjoy Inle Lake , you'll need 3 days n 2 nights, ditto for Bagan and Yangon .

Burma/Myanmar is a country where the journey is as enjoyable as the destination. Burmese motto is "TAKE TIMES" as my Burmese friends frequently tell me. when I rushed ! Of course if you have more time then you can indulge in local mode of transport -boats, bus, trains connecting all the lovely places there, because it is where the ordinary Burmese interact . Burma is a 'people' place ENJOY !

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
796 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 days in Myanmar, need suggestions on schedule

Thanks for the concern LL but this forum does a very good job of managing itself, we don't ignore posts on the basis that people don't thank us, if we did that then no one's questions would be answered. The advisors here like to give advice & help travelers whether there's any thanks involved or not, no one takes the moral high ground & we try to keep it friendly, lets keep it that way thanks.

Hansen, no need at all to book in Bangkok, use the local agents here for booking your tickets, they're very efficient & will keep an eye on any change of flight schedules if any. Most are good at replying to email queries when their connection is good enough.

If one day was enough for you in AW then one day will certainly be enough for you in Bagan. As you're not leaving until the evening on your last day you could fit 3days in at Inle. One day taking the boat trip to Indein & the revolving 5day market, one day hiking around the hills & caves above Ngwesaung & another day cycling or as KKYM suggests, throw a trip to Pindaya in there. The road to Pindaya is extremely scenic & well worth the trip for that alone IMO.

That advice is free, no need for thanks ok..;-)

Edited: 13 July 2010, 17:42
Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
796 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 days in Myanmar, need suggestions on schedule

I got beaches on the brain, I meant hiking around Nyaungshwe;-)

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
296 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 days in Myanmar, need suggestions on schedule

First, I will travel from 11-16 August.

I got you guys wrong the first time. I thought you meant that I should book after arriving in Yangoon on the 11th of August 1735. I suspect I mean I should book online right? Which agents are recommended and have online sites? I think booking in Yangoon after I arrive might be too late as the offices might be closed.

I think Ill try to go to Inle and Bagan and spend 1 day in Bagan and 3 in inle. That way I also have some time in yangoon.

As mentioned earlier I know I should have more time but these are all the days I could get off work. I still would like to go. I have a couple of weeks vacation later on and might very well go back to Myanmar.

Thanks for good answers everyone! :)