We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mrauk, Kengton, Kallaw, Golden Rock or Hsipaw ???

california
Level Contributor
48 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Mrauk, Kengton, Kallaw, Golden Rock or Hsipaw ???

We have only 22 days in Burma and plan to visit Yangon, Mandalay, Bagan and Inle Lake. With the remaining time we are trying to decide between Kalaw, Mrauk, Kengtong, Hsipaw and the Golden Rock.

Anyone been to these places? If you had to eliminate 1 or 2, which would they be?

Yangon, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon)
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mrauk, Kengton, Kallaw, Golden Rock or Hsipaw ???

Hello,

I think it also depends on the budget and time. Hope the following info will help you.

Mrauk U : You should count at least 5 days for the trip with the charter boat. If you are going to take ferry boat , will be longer. There is no direct flight to Sittwe from either Bagan, Mandalay or Heho. You have to come back to Yangon. By land is prohibited. Need a special permission. No way by bus. Ygn-Sittwe air ticket will cost about US$ 105 pp one way. You should estimate about $ 700 for both. But it’s worth visiting with different architectural style old temples. A visit to Chin villages is also interesting.

Kalaw : Like a trekking spot. Do not expect much about Kalaw. If you are not interested in making trekking, nothing. Just good for leisure as the weather is cool and dry. Scenic beauty with foggy mountains.

Keng Tung : The town itself is not interesting. Cycling around the villages or Trekking trip to different tribes’ villages is the main attraction. But the advantage is you do not need to make a separate trip. There is a flight Heho-Keng Tung-Mandalay or vice versa. The ticket cost about US$ 100 pp one way. You should count at least 4 days and about US$ 600 for both.

Hsipaw : Similar to Kalaw. But a train ride is quite famous. May be because of the Goke Htate bridge, read somewhere as the second highest viaduct in the world.

Golden Rock : There are many detail information about that in this site.

If I were you I will definitely choose Keng Tung or Mrauk U. Of course, If I have enough budget and time. Will skip Kalaw and Hsipaw.

Have a nice visit.

2. Re: Mrauk, Kengton, Kallaw, Golden Rock or Hsipaw ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2011, 05:25