We are traveling to Burma in Feb 2012 for almost 2.5 weeks, and are starting to plan our trip. We will stay in mid-range hotels. Usually we like to book our hotels and inter-country flights once we arrive. After reading many comments on the forum we are wondering if we should book ahead through a local travel agent in Burma. Here are our questions:
1. Hotels: Can local travel agents get better prices on hotel than booking them with the hotel online? Are there any other advantages of booking in advance with a local travel agent? In February – are rooms hard to find on arrival in mid-range hotels?
2. Flights within Burma: We plan on flying to most or all of our destinations. Can local travel agents get better prices on flights? Is it hard to book flights 1 or 2 days before or do they need to be booked far in advance. I understand the flight schedules change quite a bit without notice.
3. Would we pay a deposit in advance with a local agent, and how does that normally work - Credit card, wire transfer, or pay pal? When is the balance usually paid – on arrival – and does that need to be in US Cash or do they accept other payment methods?
4. We are arriving in Yangon on a Sunday early evening, and would ideally like to fly to our first destination the next morning. If we needed to pay the travel agent on arrival, would that be possible on a Sunday?
5. How far in advance should we start working with a local travel agent to secure our flights and rooms?