We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best guidebook for Myanmar/Burma?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
152 posts
92 reviews
best guidebook for Myanmar/Burma?

We're starting to plan for our next trip to Burma and are wondering what the best guidebook/s are? Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks, katblue

Castle Cary, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: best guidebook for Myanmar/Burma?

Hi,I always find Lonely Planet really informative.They have a guide book for Myanmar and on their web site you can download chapters (for a fee).Don't know if it's available in your part of the world.BB

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
485 posts
51 reviews
2. Re: best guidebook for Myanmar/Burma?

We used LP and also the Blueprint Myanmar Guide, available here:

http://bit.ly/hPoDn5

Blueprint is not as current, but the maps are way better than the Lonely Planet guide and lodging listings are much more comprehensive for just about anywhere in the country, good transp notes as well. Only available online mailorder from Thailand or in Bangkok at the Pickled Liver Pub.

Edited: 11 April 2011, 23:20
Kent UK
Level Contributor
641 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: best guidebook for Myanmar/Burma?

I also used Lonelyu Planet

It gives a good general look at most places.

I found that asking for places to on arrival at towns worked well - but LP was a good backup and provided lots of cultural info!

Sometimes it was a bit out of dare on prices.

I still have my book but I note you are in Vancouver so postage would be high!

Cheers

c

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
17,699 posts
404 reviews
4. Re: best guidebook for Myanmar/Burma?

Having used LP for many years I now find the current edition completely out of date, ultra political and with many hotels not included:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294190-i9408-k4…

mandalay
Level Contributor
104 posts
5. Re: best guidebook for Myanmar/Burma?

if you need to know about Burma.You should buy for Inside Myanmar Guide book which is very helpful for your trip.

6. Re: best guidebook for Myanmar/Burma?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 14:16