We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Agent

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Agent

Hi everybody,

After planning, thinking and speaking to, we are doubting to hire the services of 3 different travel agents. Could you please help us decide , with your opinions and experiences.

The agents are;

Myanmar Delight

Myanmar Shalom

Kyaw Khaing

Thank you.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,572 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Agent

There have been many recent posts about Agencies.

So to save repeating posts please use the spyglass search feature above and enter the Agents name and that will bring up lots of detailed recommendations and experiences.

SS

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
206 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Agent

I have used Kyaw Khaing's services and am satisfied with it - there was a little hitch (not his fault) and he helped to rectify it.

He made arrangements for me although i only contacted him at the last minute ie 1 day before my arrival in Yangon (when i decided not to skip the trip after all).

Emails were replied promptly with answers/ suggestions to my queries. His English is fine.

I did not need to pay any deposit to him before my arrival in Myanmar and paid him only when I arrived at the airport where he met me. He also arranged for me exchange USD to kyats outside of moneychangers' normal hours ( I arrived late in the evening) and it was the normal rate of exchange.

My impression on meeting him was favourable - didn't get any bad vibes.

On my recommendation, 2 other friends have used his services after my return and they have not made any complaints to me about his/arrangements. In fact, one told me that his quotes were the best from the ones she got.

OTOH, I have had a lousy experience with another myanmar guide, frequently recommended on TA but he's not on your list.

Edited: 14 July 2011, 02:36
Cleveland, Ohio
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Agent

I used Kyaw Khaing for three days this spring and he is a very professional, reliable guide. His English is very good. He went out of his way to make

somewhat complicated arrangements, in order to take me to the school for street kids which has been mentioned here. He took us past Ang Saung Suu Kyi's house which was a thrill, took us to lunch at a "locals" place where he'd

arranged a private a/c dining room for us; he listened to what I wanted to do, figured out the best ways to accommodate me and also he had figured out things that would be of interest that I didn't even know about. His price was more than reasonable. He can be highly recommended and I'd be happy to answer any questions privately. *He even went with me to Scott Market and did some excellent bargaining with the vendors, in Burmese. He was great.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
291 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Agent

I used Kyaw Khaing and I have only good things to say about him! He is very friendly and his english is great. His prices are also good and he has a lot og knowledge as a guide.

When I had some trouble with my flight he let me borrow his phone.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
485 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Agent

We worked with Myanmar Delight for our trip last Nov/Dec, and although we only used their services to book a few of our hotels and arrange internal flights, we were very impressed and had an excellent overall experience.

Mr Myo handled our arrangements via email with prompt and friendly efficiency, after communicating back and forth and making changes here and there, I really felt that I had made a long-distance friend and was looking forward to meeting him on arrival. As it turned out, he was out on a tour on our arrival date and we were met at the airport in Yangon by Dr Zin, the director of the company and a medical doctor. She met us there with a dozen roses, then we drove to her house to make payment, collect our tickets and hotel vouchers, and exchange a chunk of US$. Dr Zin's exceedingly kind hospitality was a very welcome introduction to her country after traveling nearly 30 hrs from the US--she offered us cool slices of jicama and oranges, juice and water as we were clearly weary from the trip and exchanged $ at a favorable rate, then transferred us to our hotel with an early pick-up the next morning for our flight to Nyaung U. Our arrangements along the way went smoothly and we were offered free room upgrades at a couple of our hotels, a welcome bonus!

After initially communicating by email with a few agents, we decided on Myanmar Delight as they offered slightly lower rates on our flights and were impressed with Mr Myo's friendliness and enthusiasm in his email communications. They turned out to be great folks to work with and I would unquestionably use their services again for our next visit, likely sometime in the next couple of years. I am always happy to make a recommendation for their services--bravo Myanmar Delight!

Edited: 14 July 2011, 15:01
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Agent

Hola, I have used Myanmar Shalom twice and quite happy with his services. I have also asked Sri Asia and Goodnewstravel for quotes and they were OK. Do as Silverswimmer #1 says as he is also a regular traveller to Myanmar.

Please ask a few other tour companies to quote similar tours so that you can compare prices. Please look up some guide books or use trip Advisors to 'see' what the hotels and places are like. Example The 4 * hotels are very reasonable .quotes of Sedona Yangon for US$65 deluxe room,. Inle Resort US$49 ,local guide's fee US$20 etc. For 3 people they will usually give you a minivan Hiace Nowadays I ask them for individual item cost because some will charge $30 more for same hotel. The hotels are so much cheaper than the Barcelona ones I was looking up. I go with my elderly relatives and they like being pampered by the 2 hotels I mentioned.

Lonely Planet Thornetree forums are good for backpacking tips and interesting views too !

ec.

belgium
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Agent

Please do not have any doubts and contact Kyaw Khaing, you can contact him at Trip Advisor by his ID kkym.

Myanmar is a beautiful country, very special and welcoming to visitors but also different than other Asian countries; you might need some help getting started.

First of all, please do not forget to take all the money in cash (perfectly clean dollar bills!) with you that you think you will spent during your stay. You can not use your creditcard (not at hotels and not at restaurant) and you can not get any money in the country. You don’t have to worry about taking so much cash with you, it’s a very safe country. Please prepare well!

As a tourism professional myself and having travelled quite a bit, I did feel I needed advice and assistance for travelling Myanmar. I contacted Kyaw and never regretted that decision. Next to being very professional and knowing everything you possible need to know for travelling Myanmar, he is also a very warm and special person.

He made our holiday happen, helped us with the difficulties we had getting started and around, and since then also assisted other friends of ours travelling Myanmar.

Kyaw will be there to help you. Just contact him, relaxed and enjoy the country!

Asia
Level Contributor
362 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Agent

I can second the recommendations for Kyaw Khaing.

I have used his services, and as you see from my many reviews and Forum-Posts, I am not a "FAKE".

While those other agencies might be okay too, you will get a more personal service from him for sure, and the prices are very reasonable.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
30 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Agent

No doubt that with Kyaw Khaing you´ll have the trip of your life.

Honest, serious person vexpert in the wonders of his icharming country,he will take care of everything not only the trip. He takes care of you!

We put ourselves in his hands and the result was simply perfect.

We would repeat!!

yangon
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel Agent

"You can not use your creditcard (not at hotels and not at restaurant) and you can not get any money in the country."

Just to correct , in Yangon and Mandalay , you can use credit card and draw cash in Sedona Hotel but the commission is high according to who have experience with them.