We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Use og travel agent or travel individually in Myanmar

Copenhagen, Denmark
4 posts
Save Topic
Use og travel agent or travel individually in Myanmar

Hello

We are a couple travelling to Myanmar and are looking to hear if you have any advise on whether we should book our trip though a travel agent (we are going for 10 days) or book hotel, flights etc. individually?

We normally travel individually on other trips but have heard it might be easier through an agent when going to Myanmar and also cheaper with hotels?

I hope you have some great travel ideas for Myanmar as we have heard it is an amazing country to visit.

Thank you :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Use og travel agent or travel individually in Myanmar

Hi,

You don't say when you are travelling, but nevertheless, I recommend you use a Yangon-based travel agent to help with the internal flights and hotels. If you do a search, you will find names of reliable travel agents. You can still travel independently, it just means the agent has booked the accommodation and flights for you - they can also book your transfers from airports if you want. Or, you can negotiate with the local taxis for a drive into town. When you get to Yangon, the agents may meet you at the airport to collect the balance of your payment and hand over your vouchers and tickets or they may ask you to meet them at their downtown office to pick up your air tickets and hotel vouchers and make payment.

If you decide to book hotels yourself, be aware that email does not always get to its destination in Myanmar. I just find it easier to communicate with a travel agent who can use their local knowledge to make your bookings.

Have you thought about where you are going? The "Big Four" are Yangon, Bagan, Mandalay and Inle lake. With 10 days, you are restricted with time, so probably will want to fly between the destinations (flights are short). Last December/January, we spent 14 days seeing the "Big Four" - for our impending trip, we will be there for 22 days and seeing other sites. With only ten days, you may have to limit your time to three of these destinations.

I would research on this site where you would like to go and send that off to a number of travel agents for suggestions and quotes. We used www.mrmyanmartravel.com for both trips. You will find reviews of some of the hotels on Trip Advisor.

My wife and I are returning for our second trip to Myanmar this coming December -January and have all our hotels and internal flights and some car travel already booked with an agent. Our days will be occupied by ourselves - bike riding, trekking, eating and drinking Myanmar beer! Like you, we have always booked our accommodation and travel to other countries ourselves. Myanmar is the first time we have used the services of an agent to organise components of our trip.

Hope this helps.

Copenhagen, Denmark
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Use og travel agent or travel individually in Myanmar

Hi,

Thank you very much for this detailed answer, that really helped.

We are travelling to Myanmar on the 13th of June 2012, so stille a way to go.

It is great to hear that you have booked through an agent and still have the days to yourself bikeriding, eating etc. That is excatly how we are looking to travel.

We are looking to see the " big four", yes and fly between the destinations.

I will, as you suggest, send my ideas of to a few agents for suggestions and quotes.

Thanks again for the reply and let me know if you have any other ideas or great experiences when travelling to Myanmar.

Also if you have any suggestions on hotels in the "big four" cities, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks agan :)

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Use og travel agent or travel individually in Myanmar

Very sound advice from landatravels and this is all I can add

Hotels:Have a good read through all the Hotel Reviews, tool bar left-you will find traveller comments very useful.

and

Agents:if you input "Agents" in the spyglass feature above that will give you links to the names of agents that have been recommended by fellow travellers.

Edited: 20 October 2011, 10:58
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Use og travel agent or travel individually in Myanmar

Hi,

On this upcoming trip, of the "Big Four" we are staying at Traders Hotel in Yangon, Sedona Hotel in Mandalay and Amazing Hotel at Nyaung Shwe at the Lake. Last year we stayed at the New Park Hotel at Nyaung Oo, Bagan (http://www.newparkmyanmar.com/). and the Hotel Amazing (http://www.hotelamazingnyaungshwe.com/) at Nyaung Shwe.

Last year we also stayed at MotherLand Inn 2 in Yangon (backpackers place). In Mandalay, last time we stayed at the Nadi Myanmar because a guest house at Mandalay we had booked ourselves via email, fell through the day we arrived at Yangon, and our agent quickly got us a place at the Nadi Myanmar. We learnt from this; and this year, we have the agent booking all accommodation.

Where you stay ultimately depends really upon your budget and how you travel. My wife and I are not backpackers and many guest houses cater for that market and budget . We normally prefer to stay in the mid range places but this trip in December we have decided to stay at Traders and the Sedona at Mandalay. As you will see from the hotel reviews, there is a wide range of accommodation serving all budgets.

There is so much to see - we loved Inle Lake and this time will be spending 6 nights there to do day hikes and cycle and spend time on the lake to see Sankar. Bagan was fascinating and is worth a visit and if money permits, the balloons over Bagan was great. We spent a day in a horse and cart visiting several temples and finally seeing sunset from the top of a temple. Just as enjoyable was trying the food at the local restaurants at Nyaung Oo.

As for Mandalay, it grew on us, but we also visited sites outside of Mandalay last time - Mingun and Amarapura and the temple at Paleik south of Mandalay with the huge Burmese pythons that get hand-washed in a tile pool at 11 am. We were the only anglo-saxons watching the snakes get washed amongst the crowd of local onlookers. They will let you pick up the python - it is huge. Somehwere there are probably photos in a Burmese album of some silly white guy holding up this huge python while his wife snaps away with the camera. This time when we visit Mandalay, we will revisit Amarapura to see U Bein's bridge again at sunset and we will visit Saiging.

As for everyday travel, we walked, cycled and caught local transport and negotiated with the driver. Though we booked accommodation and flights with an agent, it was, thankfully, not a packaged tour. We ate out at a variety of local restaurants, supporting the families that ran them.

You will enjoy Myanmar - we loved it and are returning after a year.

Copenhagen, Denmark
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Use og travel agent or travel individually in Myanmar

Hi,

Thank you again for the information, and hotel recommendations.

Is is great help and now I'm even more excited about visiting Myanmar :)

The ideas with visiting sites outside of Mandalay are just what we are looking for and I will start looking into those spots (Mingun, Amarapura).

It is just perfect to hear that you have had a great experience though an agent and still been able to enjoy the day yourself and eat at local restaurants, just what we are looking to do.

Have an enjoyable trip to Myanmar :)

Copenhagen, Denmark
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Use og travel agent or travel individually in Myanmar

And Thank you Silverswimmer for replying, I will look into the reviews of hotels and search for travelagents :)

Yangon, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon)
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Use og travel agent or travel individually in Myanmar

Hi,

You have already got good advices. Just to add one thing, June 13, the lowest tourist season, everything should be OK. Most of the hotels are empty. So you shouldn't worry about it. But always keep Plan B for transportation. The flights may be cancelled due to the heavy rain. The roads may be blocked because of the flood.

Cheers.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Use og travel agent or travel individually in Myanmar

Hi,

For visiting Mingun, we caught a blue taxi down to the port on the river at Mandalay and paid our $5 for the boat for tourists. It was an hour's trip up the river to Mingun and there were about 8 tourists on the boat. There were some tourists who had reserved a boat for themselves but we enjoyed our trip on this small boat. I think a couple of the tourists traveling on this boat were shocked at the transport used - there were no seats, we sat on the floor under the deck amongst the petrol fumes and no life jackets ( which could be a concern for some). But my wife and I enjoyed the trip. The boat then leaves from Mingun at 1 pm - you have to get it, or some how arrange other transport back to Mandalay. We enjoyed the trip to Mingun.

To see U Bein,s bridge, we just caught a blue taxi and the driver waited for us while we walked across the bridge at sunset and chatted to the monks and locals who wanted to practice their English. Our driver took us back to our hotel back after dark.

9. Re: Use og travel agent or travel individually in Myanmar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 12:16