We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time trip- destination to combine well with ngapali?

London, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
first time trip- destination to combine well with ngapali?

I'm looking to visit Myanmar for 3 weeks the first time in March. Can anyone recommend the best destination to combine with two weeks in Ngapali beach so I get to experience another part of the country? At the moment Sandoway resort and Amata at Ngapali seem to suit our taste but I would like to have a week in another area for something different.

Can I fly to Bagan or Mandalay for example from Thandwe or would I have to go back to Yangon to get a flight from there?

Open to ideas on where to else to go for the 3rd week but want to find somewhere that's straightforward` journey wise and isn't too expensive in terms of flight cost.

Also is it best to book flights from UK indepently and then contact hotels direct to book or is there an agent that can help co-ordinate this? The online searches I've done so far seem to be mainly geared towards small group tours which is not what I'm after.

I'm new to Burma so would welcome any advice at this stage.

Many Thanks

Yangon, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon)
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: first time trip- destination to combine well with ngapali?

I would recommend the beach at last. Because there is daily flight from Bagan, Heho to Thandwe. But not from Thandwe to the other destination except Yangon & Sittwe.

I think one week is good enough for two destination. Recommend

Yangon-Bagan-Heho ( Inle )-Thandwe-Yangon. will make you cheaper for the flights and more convenient. You do not need to comeback again to Yangon.

If you go first to the beach, you have to do

Yangon-Thandwe-Yangon-Bagan-Heho ( Inle )-Yangon. More expensive.

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: first time trip- destination to combine well with ngapali?

Try to book with local travel agent and asked them all the costs. It's will be cheaper than online reservation. 3 weeks is good enough to add Mandalay Bagan and Inlay after Ngapali beach.

London, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time trip- destination to combine well with ngapali?

Thank you for your advice.

I will look into 1 week in Bagan then on to Ngapali for 2 weeks. Do you know what airlines fly from Bagan - Thandwe so I can check prices?

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,697 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time trip- destination to combine well with ngapali?

Also I would recommend you book your International flights separately from your Myanmar tour-Thai seems to have the best connections in BKK with twice daily non stop flights from LHR.

Book your Myanmar tour with a local agent who will also arrange hotels,transfers and flights. Don't bother checking internal flight prices-they are all similar-leave it to the agent (For recommendations input "Agents" in the spyglass feature above.

I love Ngapali (have stayed at Sandoway and Aureum, and eaten at Amata) but unless you want to peg out on a lounger all day I think 2 weeks is too long. My longest stay was 10 days & I was ready for some culture.

Why not do a 10 day tour and then have 10 days on the beach?

Edited: 08 December 2011, 10:04
Yangon
Level Contributor
376 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: first time trip- destination to combine well with ngapali?

Yangon-Bagan-Inle-Ngapali-Yangon

1 weeks in other destinations

Day 1 Yangon arrival

2 Yangon sightseeing

3 Yangon-Bagan

4 Bagan

5 Bagan-Inle

6 Inle-Indein

7 Inle-Heho-Thandwe-Ngapali

It would be nice , most people did go

London, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time trip- destination to combine well with ngapali?

Thanks for your advice- I think you're right that 10 days touring then 10 days in Ngapali would work well.

I'm thinking perhaps 2-3 days Yangon then 5-7days in Bagan. Also looking into Inle and Mandalay but not which would be best to combine with Bagan. I think I've read that you can also take a boat between Mandalay in Bagan which despite taking longer seems like a nice way to see the country. Not sue if this is correct?

I can find return flights from London- Yangon for £670 (with Thai as you suggested) which seems reasonable so just need to get an idea of hotel rates and the cost of internal flights to work out what I'm looking at for the 3 weeks if I cover 3-4 destinations overall.

So far we like Governers residence or Kandawgyi in Yangon. Quite a few in Bgan such as Aureum, Amazing and Thiri Marlar and probably Sandoway at Ngaplai. Will continue to read up on the hotels to narrow it down!

I'm assuming once I've narrowed it down and listed the destinations/ hotels I'm interested in one of the agents can quote on hotels plus whatever flights etc I'd need?

Nicki

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,697 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time trip- destination to combine well with ngapali?

nicki.

In your first 10 days you could do a pretty comprehensive tour and would think about first 1 night in Yangon,2 nights Bagan,3 night boat to Mandalay, 2 nights Mandalay and 2 nights Inle before transferring to Ngapali by direct flight.

This is a pretty standard itinerary and I would suggest you get 3 Agents to quote for it.You can fly back to Yangon on your last day to catch the evening TG flight to BKK to connect to the overnight flight to LHR or overnight near the airport (inle Lake Hotel) and take the morning TG flight connecting to the London day flight arriving back in LHR at 7pm same day.

SS

London, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first time trip- destination to combine well with ngapali?

Hi SS,

Do you know roughly how long the boat journey from Bagan to Mandalay takes? Also what's the best way to travel from Mandalay to Inle?

We were also wondering if the were any picturesque natural areas such as jungle/national parks that we could visit that would fit in with the other sites? Are there jungle locations that you can find accommodation in and do a bit of trekking?

Lastly excuse my ignorance but what does TG stand for?!

Thanks

Nicki

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,697 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first time trip- destination to combine well with ngapali?

You can do a fast boat in a day but the Irrawaddy Cruisers ( I think there is a choice of 3/4) take an easy pace with stops off during the day and moor overnight. Quickest I think is 2 nights(?)

There are certainly trecking routes up country and from Inle Lake but no classic national parks,such as in India, that I know of. Some pals of mine have trecked near Inle Lake and around Mrauk U and had a great time. There are others on this forum who maybe can give better advice (a pm to kkym might do the trick)

There are many daily flights from Mandalay to Heho (for Inle Lake)

Sorry about the TG-I also post on Airline forums. It is the International Airline Code for Thai International.

On that subject, I always find the evening TG flight from LHR is the best for jetlag (as long as you can sleep on aircraft) as it arrives BKK mid afternoon and connects with the evening TG flight to Yangon. We usually are in our hotel,and down for dinner, by 8pm (or 7.30 for cocktails)

We also find the afternoon TG flight back from BKK (to which the morning TG flight from Yangon feeds) to be best - arriving at LHR early evening the same day is far,far,better than the red eye midnight flight from BKK. That gets you in to London before dawn with all the day ahead to try and stay awake....

SS

Edited: 11 December 2011, 12:40
London, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: first time trip- destination to combine well with ngapali?

I think the slow boat to Mandalay sounds like a nice way to travel and I'm assuming a good opportunity to see a few places along the route.

I'll do a bit more research about possible trekking areas near Inle- thanks for the tip.