We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting a Visa in Australia was easy

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Getting a Visa in Australia was easy

Much is written on here about how easy (or not) it is to get a Myanmar visa in Bangkok. There is not much about Australia for Australians. Mine just turned up in the post today and I have to say it could not have been easier or faster. It took only a week from when I sent it off. They do say allow 4 weeks though.

All I did was download the application from the embassy web site myanmarembassycanberra.info/?page_id=93 – I need 3 for the 3 of us, and filled it in, printed them off and sent in a registered postal bag along with:

• Passports for each person

• Two recent passport size colour photographs for each person

• Company cheque - $A35 for each person – they don’t accept personal cheques so if you don’t have a company you will need to get a money order or similar

• Registered Post self-addressed pre-paid envelope for them to return out passports

• A letter that stated

- Departure date from Australia

- Dates of entry into and departure from Myanmar

- Business hours contact phone number

Really simple and fast

Myanmar here we come!

Regards

Suzi

Pantin, France
Destination Expert
for Myanmar
Level Contributor
832 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting a Visa in Australia was easy

Nice to know !

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
16,156 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting a Visa in Australia was easy

Thanks,added to Top Questions

australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting a Visa in Australia was easy

Took three weeks earlier this year for us.

Wiser to work on the three to four quoted week time.

Adelaide, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting a Visa in Australia was easy

Are the entry exit dates fixed? or can that be flexible

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting a Visa in Australia was easy

Thanks Suzi,

We'll be doing exactly the same as you very soon. It is so good of you to write up a detailed post for all us Aussies... much appreciated :)

- K

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
56 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting a Visa in Australia was easy

great info thanks suzi, just a few more titbits of info needed - if you can - what airline did you find cheaper - we have used air asia, and was really good, but we want to go in dec 2012, and so far prices are really exxy, we can go later, but trawling thru websites is really draining.....any recommendations you cud wud be greatly appreciated...happy travels.

also best airline route, that is cheapest way you got there, as much info as poss wud be awesome...........thanks again

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting a Visa in Australia was easy

They've had my visa application since 30 Aug and as of 25 Sept I'm still waiting. Last week they said it was near the top of the pile, and I'd expect it to add at least a week for the return to NZ. If it turns up next week that will be 6 weeks door to door for NZ. They are snowed under so get your applciation in sooner rather than later.

If you are a NZer all of the above advice is correct but you need to add A$20 to your international draft to cover the return courier costs (there is no way to send a pre-pay envelope to Australia).

#6 - the info is on the forum - the search button is useful - Air Asia is generally the cheapest flights ex Bkk or KL into Yangon or Mandalay

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
56 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting a Visa in Australia was easy

yeh thanx suzi just downloaded visa application form, no dramas, just need to find cheap airfares..but many thanks 4 your info....

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting a Visa in Australia was easy

I received our passports back today from Canberra - so basically 3 weeks for the issue of visas plus a week each way. They do ask for your departure date out of the country - so I suspect we weren't urgent as we leave late October

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting a Visa in Australia was easy

Just called the embassy in Canberra and was advised that they have a new internet page where the visa form can be downloaded

http://www.mecanberra.org