We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on using local Agents, and pricing guidelines

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
16,627 posts
386 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on using local Agents, and pricing guidelines

There have been many recent comments on delays experienced by travellers obtaining pricing from local Agents. Agents have been overwhelmed by the level of enquiries and are being hampered by hotels increasing prices and also withholding rooms and insisting on non refundable deposits. This isn’t helped by airlines traditionally not announcing detailed schedules until much later than International airlines and also by potential clients not being specific about their needs.

My strong advice to potential visitors is to do as much background research on your Itinerary, including hotels and specific dates, before you approach the Agent. There is so much information here at TA, and on Thorntree and on the Agents websites, to make informed decisions on a specific itinerary and hotel choice. Make a decision on the level of hotel and give at least a choice of two at each location.

For a first timer a short ” Classic Burma Tour” would be easy to specify on the lines of:-

Yangon 2 nights, Bagan 2 nights, Mandalay 2 nights, Inle Lake 2 nights with a further last night in Yangon (with the possibility of 3 nights at Ngapali at the end of the tour)

I estimate the costs per person high season (not over Christmas/New Year), including room with breakfast, internal flights, transfers and the use of a guide, and entrance fees, for a day in Yangon, Bagan, Mandalay, and Inle Lake (leaving you free on the other days)

Budget ($50-75 per room night) $1000-$1200 pp ($325-$375 Ngapali extension)

Medium ($90-150 per room night) $1300-$1500pp ($400-$500 Ngapali extension)

4-5 star ($150 -$225 per room night) $1750-$2000pp ($600-$675 Ngapali extension)

Luxury ($275-$400+ per room night) $2250 -$4000+pp ($700-$825 Ngapali extension)

I would stress these are my guestemates only,based on hotel and air prices, plus moderate Agents margins. No doubt others may claim to be obtaining lower prices, or even being quoted much higher prices.

Note-this post is specifically about using local Agents. Many experienced travellers have made their own arrangements, travelling on a strict budget at much cheaper rates than quoted here, and have posted their experiences and itineraries on this forum

SS

Tour Diamond
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Day Trips
Myanmar Damsel Travels & Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Multi-day Tours
Terrebonne, Oregon
Level Contributor
135 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on using local Agents, and pricing guidelines

great post, should be sticky

Edited: 15 May 2012, 01:42
yangon
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on using local Agents, and pricing guidelines

ႊThanks. SS .

Its useful.

Yangon
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on using local Agents, and pricing guidelines

Sound great your post

Pantin, France
Destination Expert
for Myanmar
Level Contributor
834 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on using local Agents, and pricing guidelines

Your contribution should be awarded on TA silverswimmer !

This is a very useful guideline for travellers.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,627 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on using local Agents, and pricing guidelines

Just a footnote.

Do not leave your booking too late, hotels and flights are filling up fast for the high season and although there is availability you may have to be flexible on hotels.Some hotels are holding back their pricing but many others have announced their prices for Jan-March. Many on-line booking sites are showing " no availability" but many Agents do have their there own allocation.

SS

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,627 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on using local Agents, and pricing guidelines

If you are thinking of including an Irrawaddy cruise as part of your itinerary then you really need to plan well in advance. The web sites of Pandaw,Road to Mandalay and Ayravata (Paukan) are all showing little availability well into 2013 with even the not yet launched Paukan 2 looking pretty full from February 2013.Pandaw cruises even go well into 2014.

There maybe some reserved cabins for Agents but my strong advice is to get your cabin reserved soon.

Hertford UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on using local Agents, and pricing guidelines

Hi,

I'm looking to book a trip for Oct/Nov 2013 (yes 16/17 months ahead!) and am pretty clear where I want to go and where I want to stay. But although my UK agent says they have next years prices - and is quoting an astronomical figure - the agent in Myanmar says the figures aren't yet available. Does this make sense? If so is there any indication of the likely increase?

The local agent I have contacted - Myanmar Delight seems very efficient (and is lot cheaper than the UK one). do you, or does anyone, know of any reason why I shouldn't go with them?

London
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on using local Agents, and pricing guidelines

I think it is crazy using a UK based agent as you will be paying a huge premium so he can contact the local agents on your behalf! I suspect that they may be able to make a firm booking further ahead than the locals.

So glad we went last year but disappointed that going back might be so expensive.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on using local Agents, and pricing guidelines

@quakered<<<So glad we went last year but disappointed that going back might be so expensive.>>>

Me too, albeit a couple of years ago. But it was always going to be the case. There'll be too many tourists now, and I suspect Myanmar, especially for those who are treading the increasingly frequently trodden path, won't have the same 'Myanmar Experience' in the future.

Hertford UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on using local Agents, and pricing guidelines

Thanks "quakered" and "LancasterLad" for your comments. But does anyone have anything solid to advise on next years hotel rates AND on which agents to use/not use?