We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Payment to Agent

London
Level Contributor
135 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Payment to Agent

I have read the previous threads on payments to agents, and in particular the problems with Barclays.

Unfortunately the company I am using to transfer the funds to Thailand is using Barclays in the US (I did not know this in advance) and Barclays are now asking for information about purpose of payment, countries to be visited, and copy of invoice.

Is there any further information about the attitude of Barclays or other banks as to such payments since the last discussion in early May?

Help very much appreciated.

uk
Level Contributor
137 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Payment to Agent

We were going with Tour Mandalay and had many problems with Barclays .We just insisted we were not going to Mayanmar and supplied an invoice eventually they paid it/

London
Level Contributor
930 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Payment to Agent

Not sure I understand the problem.

What you are surely asking is for them to arrange a SWIFT payment from your bank account into a Thai bank account in (I assume) USD. I don't see why Barclays should want anymore information and it is surely nonsense that it goes via the USA. It is inconceivable that Barclays in the UK do not have SWIFT connections in the UK and even in the US, I cannot see why they should object to money going from the UK to Thailand.

If they do insist on acting like "big brother" on behalf of the CIA I would have thought your agent in Burma should be able to give a suitably vague invoice about your holiday in Thailand......

If Americans can take holidays in Burma it can't be impossible to get payments made!

I did mine via Nationwide BS in about 15 minutes in the local branch. I now see you can do it via their Internet banking service.

Edited: 19 June 2012, 22:47
uk
Level Contributor
137 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Payment to Agent

I have sent a PM to OP with advise as I assure they can and do stop payments for no reason .Other banks may not be a problem but Barclays are different just best avoided It was to an agent not a bank. When we finally got funds back we checked a bank who said they had no problem and re sent the money ,too late we discovered anything over 3000 was through Barclays International and it was impounded again. I cant count how many people have told me they cant do it . Best to know beforehand.

Edited: 19 June 2012, 23:08
London
Level Contributor
135 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Payment to Agent

I confirm that Barclays will definitely not make payments for travel if they suspect this relates to Myanmar. I am making other arrangements to pay the agent.

Quakered, my understanding is that all USD payments have to be cleared through the USA. Barclays has been fined recently for breaching US sanctions on Myanmar and I think that makes them hyper cautious.

Ukunicorn, thanks for the comments.

What really makes me cross is that none of those involved with the transfer gave any prior warning that there might be a problem with anything to do with Myanmar.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Payment to Agent

There is nothing wrong with Barclays, We are local run travel company and receiving funds through UK/ USA. The only thing is not to mention the name of "Myanmar"

Anyone need helps for finding the right local agents, please contact to www.myammarpocketguide.com, they can assist you.

Cheers, Win

London
Level Contributor
135 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Payment to Agent

MMPKG, you are wrong.

Nothing in my payment details mentioned Myanmar and the payment itself was to be to Bangkok. It is possible that there is a size of payment that they will not bother to check. As it was, they took it on themselves to check up on the purpose of the payment, and I was not prepared to tell them an untruth. They have refused to make my payment and are returning my funds.

My experience was yesterday and today, so is up to date.

uk
Level Contributor
137 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Payment to Agent

My Payment was to a tour company adress Singapore no mention of Myanmar / Burma.

London
Level Contributor
930 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Payment to Agent

Just tell Barclays that you are attempting to manipulate LIBOR or doing an interest rate swap and am sure you will have no problem.

You just need to prove to them that you are just as bent as they are!

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,719 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Payment to Agent

LOL-but well over the heads of those not in the know.

Incidentally,I am due to make a payment through Barclays to Singapore and the recipient does not have Burma or Myanmar in the name. We will see how we get on.

In the past we have had to take out $'s cash from the burmakids charity because of sanctions and I recently had a 20 minute grilling from my Business Manager on the Charity,its connections and management-apparently on instructions from NY!

He was left in no doubt of what action I,and my family,will take if I have problems with transfers

SS

London
Level Contributor
135 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Payment to Agent

To conclude my money transfer experience, I sent the deposit through another bank and it all went smoothly, no questions asked.

I kept the travel agency, Santa Maria, informed throughout, and they confirmed that all the reservations were held despite the delay. I have found them to be an excellent agency in terms of communications and responsiveness.