We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation and ease of booking

horsham
Level Contributor
136 posts
439 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation and ease of booking

I have used our uk based travel company many times to various parts of the world and they use local agents to arrange travel plans - we have used them for south and central america, Asia and Africa. We have always been 100% happy.

We booked to go to Burma last December for November this year, staying in 5 star hotels where available. Our agent has contacted us every week to update us with the position but the hotel accommodation is horrendous. We have now confirmed our holiday only after changing the order of locations and some hotels. This is 6 months. Apparently this is the situation at the moment:-

- the booking situation is manual and with the huge rise of interest they are overwhelmed

- many hotels are holding out for the best price they can get near the time to travel so delaying taking bookings

- many international businesses are block booking accommodation for months for business purposes

- many travel agents are ghost booking accommodation in the hope of making a return on higher room rates

All in all it's been a nightmare and the room rates have gone up a lot. Our agent is honouring our agreed cost and have only been able to secure our holiday by changing some hotels and paying up front. Hope this information is helpful

Asia
Level Contributor
866 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation and ease of booking

I guess in Myanmar they are not working with bookings for so long in advance. Planning too early works for some destinations but doesn't seem to work here.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,572 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation and ease of booking

boaster

Thank you for posting,your information confirms other comments on this forum.

Hotels have been used to working on a short booking period,even the airline schedules are only up 6 months in advance. Two the hotels I use revised their prices twice in 2 months and reluctantly took bookings in March for December.

Incidentally, I and many others have found that booking international flights separately and using a local agent for Myanmar is not only efficient but cheaper. Recent posts indicated that an identical itinerary booked this way,rather than using Audley saved 20%

SS

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation and ease of booking

But they are all promising those people rooms, Silver. What if November rolls around and you're about to depart, and your room has been given to a higher bidder? I'm interested to see what is going to happen, especially all htose folks who have pre-paid and expect 5-star accommodation, there is simply not enough to go around.

I have plans for 3 weeks there from the end of December and am a budget traveler so not too worried. If I have to sleep on a rooftop, I can do that. :-)

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,572 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation and ease of booking

I will have paid a deposit to my Myanmar agent,against confirmation invoice, at least 2 months before departure and where I have booked direct I have received confirmation ,and even the number of my room,such a fussy b*gger that I am!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation and ease of booking

I do hope you get it. I am bringing my nice, fluffy fleece jackets that can easily double for a pillow should I end up on a roof somewhere. ;-p

Leicester
Level Contributor
445 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation and ease of booking

Its a bit of a worry already for my planning a trip for March 2013. I read recently that there only around 25,000 hotel rooms (or beds) in the whole country.

Even making plans 8 or 9 months ahead seems a bit futile if rooms and flights are unable to be guaranteed, especially if you are on a tighter schedule than you would prefer to be.

Hmmmm, need to think this through before committing too early.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation and ease of booking

I just tried to book flights for Bangkok~Yangon and couldn't get the one I wanted, already fully booked! (for December!)

8. Re: Accommodation and ease of booking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2013, 05:45