We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa at Wash. DC embassy --questions

Delaware
Level Contributor
427 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Visa at Wash. DC embassy --questions

Pretty stupid questions I know, but...

If we're sending in 2 passports and applications can we get one money order for $40 or should we get separate ones for $20 each?

If we're sending a return FedEx label do we also need to send a FedEx envelope for them to use - I guess I would send one of the cardboard ones with return label and ship it out in a bigger tyvek FedEx envelope.

I was told by our tour company that now they require 3 passport size photos for each visa app. not 2. I don't see that anywhere on the embassy website but I guess to avoid any possible holdup in processing we'll go ahead and send 3.

Just to make sure - it sounds like each is only $20 - there's no service fee on top of that if you go directly through the embassy?

Thanks for any advice.

Florida
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa at Wash. DC embassy --questions

I don't know about money order. When I did it, I separated for each individuals.

Yes, you have to send them another envelope with return address to you.

Read the visa application. If they say 2, only 2 is required. Tour company might be different. If you are doing it with tour company, follow their direction because for them, it might be a different process.

There shouldn't be any service fee if you do it yourself and send it to embassy.

Just follow the direction from the embassy. If you have a question, call them.

Delaware
Level Contributor
427 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa at Wash. DC embassy --questions

Thanks - I did send the 3 pictures and the return envelope for FedEx. But I combined and sent one $40 money order. I hope that's okay.

I suppose if not they'll send the package back to me. We don't leave until the end of November - hopefully I can get it worked out by then :)

Delaware
Level Contributor
427 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa at Wash. DC embassy --questions

Just wanted to finish up this thread by saying we got our passports back from the DC embassy in less than 2 weeks and there was no problem with sending one money order to cover both visas.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa at Wash. DC embassy --questions

LeslieJ,

A few questions for you as I am just about to send my application in.

1) What size photos did you send them?

2) Did you include copy's of your airline tickets and itinerary?

3) Did you send the package to them as registered mail, with the return envelope already labeled in the package with everythign else?

Thanks so much for your repsonse

Delaware
Level Contributor
427 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa at Wash. DC embassy --questions

Hi timur--

1. The passport photos we had taken were 2 x 2" but I cut them down to fit the dimensions on the visa application which said they had to be 35 x 45 mm.

We're going with a group tour and that company emailed us in August to tell us there were changes in the visa application process. They said that 3 photos are now required. I was unable to verify that on the Myanmar embassy website and the newest visa application which you find there (updated August 2012) only says to include 2 photos. BUT, in an abundance of caution I sent three. It was annoying to spend the extra $5 each for one more little photo but I didn't want to take any chances.

Another change that tour group mentioned was "should you reside in New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut, you will require a different visa application." Looks like that doesn't apply to you but in case anyone else is reading this....

2. We included a copy of our air itinerary but not copies of actual tickets. We also included a printout of the tour itinerary showing daily activity and what hotels we'd be staying in along the way. I attached a duplicate to each visa application, not just one for both of us. Again, maybe overkill but I just didn't want to give any reason to have the visa apps denied.

3. I sent both applications together in one FedEx package (the bigger tyvek envelope) and inside I also included a FedEx cardboard envelope for them to return them to us which had a completed label with my FedEx account # and address filled in. I just included one for them to return both passports together.

And the $40 money order made out to Myanmar Embassy.

After overthinking that I'm now on to overthinking getting prisitne $100 bills. Not easy! Let me know if you figure out a good way to do that. Most banks are telling us they don't get new bills in and we just have to take the best they have.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa at Wash. DC embassy --questions

Thanks for your reply. Yes I spoke with my bank today and they said the same thing...

Austin, Texas...
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa at Wash. DC embassy --questions

The DC Burma embassy received my VISA app three weeks from the day I am to leave to Burma. I hope I get it back in less than three weeks. I live in TX.

Any experience anyone can share?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa at Wash. DC embassy --questions

We sent our Visa application to Burma Embassy in Washington D.C via FedEx.

They received our application on October 9 ( we called the Embassy to follow up) and sent back to us within 8 days (via FedEx prepaid return envelope). We followed the instructions in the Visa application form and sent along with a $40.00 cashier check (fees for 2 applications). Everything went very smoothly. Don't forget to sign your passport before you mail it.. I just renewed my passport and almost forgot to sign it.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
9 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa at Wash. DC embassy --questions

Friend and I were in on Tuesday.

We brought 2 pictures each.

Separate money orders,

One Fedex pre-paid envelope for both

Man checked applications thoroughly including itineraries.

All went well.

Busy but man at window said ten business days.

Just follow instructions to the letter.

Apply early (you have 3 months to enter when you receive visa) and you will be fine.

Edited: 30 November 2012, 23:30
Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa at Wash. DC embassy --questions

Just received our visas back from the DC embassy. To give an idea of the time frame you might expect, the embassy received our application on Friday, Nov 2, and we received our visas back via US mail on Saturday, Nov 24. The Thanksgiving holiday probably lengthened the delivery time, but it was about a 3-week turnaround from time of receipt at the embassy.