We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ngapali beach

Bristol, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ngapali beach

Does anyone know whether the troubles in rakhine state are affecting ngapali beach at all?

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,701 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ngapali beach

There have been recent posts on this subject.

I repeat-Ngapali Beach is in the South of the Rakhine state,well away from Sittwe and Mrauk U and there are no reports of problems in that area and no restrictions for foreigners.

All hotels are now open and the daily flights recommenced after the rainy season.

Bristol, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ngapali beach

Great, thanks.

yangon
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ngapali beach

As far as I know and so far there is no problem yet .

However , do check it before you fly.

Chorley UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ngapali beach

I would be grateful if you could direct me to where I could get written confirmation by the UK Government that travel in the southern parts of Rakhine State, i.e. Ngapali, is OK at the moment.

The UK Government website advises against travel, see link, and therefore ignoring this advice would negate a UK citizen's travel insurance.

I would gladly accept clear written official information that I'm wrong

fco.gov.uk/en/…burma

Having had the experience of a family member having peritonitis whilst abroad we would never risk travelling without travel insurance.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,701 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ngapali beach

I am afraid that the UK Government (and US) has used the expression "Rakhine State" as a broad brush advisory travel information on their web sites.

The problems are all around Sittwe, Mrauk U and the North of the State bordering Bangledesh.Bales worldwide are following the advice to the letter ever since the troubles started in May.

Ngapali Beach is well to the South and there have been no reported problems there.The population is of mixed religion,Buddhist,Muslim and Hindu but there are no rohinga settements nearby.

It is very much a personal decision-my Insurer advises that my health cover is still in place and is only invalidated if I get involved in local violence!

Unless the flights are cancelled, and hotels closed, I will be there next month. You, however must make your own decision so why not contact the British Embassy in Yangon for their views?

NB is a high profile, and high earning destination and I believe that the Government will ensure that the area is open and safe for tourists.

Bristol, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ngapali beach

The foreign office actually advises against all but essential travel, which makes a big difference to your insurance, as most companies will cover you for this but not of the FO advises against ALL travel, but you should be sure to find an insurer that will cover you.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,701 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ngapali beach

As part of my visit will be to deliver materials and cash to a local school I would argue that my visit is "essential travel".

I really do hope that the "advice" given by Western Governments does not prevent tourism at Ngapali Beach as that will have a dramatic effect on the local population,whether hotel workers,shop owners or fisherman, who desperately need our $'s.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ngapali beach

Hi

Can you tell me how you got on in Ngapali as I'm thinking of going to December....would people recommend other beach spots more?

Many thanks

Level Contributor
5 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ngapali beach

Carole

Am in Ngapali until jan

No and I repeat no problems here at all

Completely safe as per normal

Our Government should not include this area

Here at minute ,any questions about this area please ask

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,701 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ngapali beach

Just had two separate messages from friends who are on the beach and everything is normal with most hotels full.

The have both been asked by their hotel managers "Where are the British-they are the only country whose Agents have cancelled rooms?". The hotels had no problem reletting the rooms as they have a wait list

and Jane

"I am thinking of going in December"-you will be lucky,it is full.