We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

photography advice

San Francisco
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Topic
photography advice

Hi everyone,

Thought I would reach out to folks and find out if there are any tips on getting great photos while traveling in Burma. I will be in Yangon, Bagan, Trek from Kalaw-Inle and of course Inle. I will have my handy SLR and a few lenses (walk around and a wide angle).

Any tips on how to make the best of my photo sessions? I bought a battery grip which hold two batteries, got extra storage, and hopefully the right power adapter..

Thanks for any tips you might have on special spots, keeping power, or other area.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,547 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: photography advice

By using the spyglass search feature above "photography" many links came up including detailed advice on best places and times and also some links to photos themselves,

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: photography advice

I never need a wide-angle, but bring a decent telephoto zoom + a tripod. I wil be in Myanmar next week and htis wil be the first time traveleign wiht the tripod there, I have plenty of experience schlepping the darn thing around with me, but it has always been worth it.

The entire country will give you endless photo opportunities, no need to say "go here" or "stop there" for any photos in particular. You will find the best spots on your own if you are a creative photographer. Don't forget about lighting, certain times of day are beter than others for shooting nature & architecture, but I'm sure you know that :-)

My Myanmar albums are here, somewhere (4 sets of them)

http://kspix1.notlong.com

Edited: 13 December 2012, 07:40
London
Level Contributor
134 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: photography advice

I agree, it is a very photogenic country, and the people are usually happy to be photographed (I asked first where possible). Take lots of memory and maybe a laptop to download and sort at night. I took around 2,000 photos in just under three weeks (quite a lot were variations of shutter speed and exposure).

Almost all my photos were taken with a 24-70 on an FF camera. My 70-300 was hardly used. There were few wildlife opportunities, apart from the birds on Inle Lake, which were not particularly exotic. I used the wide end of the zoom quite a lot (not for getting the whole building in, but because I like the effect), but that very much depends on your style of photography. Also, my camera produces images which can be cropped quite a lot - without that I might have used the longer zoom more.

You mention power adapters. Myanmar has sockets for English style flat pins, some English style round pins (really old), European style 2- pin and some American style flat-pin - sometimes all in the same room, sometimes only one type.

When trekking you can get quite hot and tired (depending on age and fitness). There were times when I wished I had left the heavy camera behind for the day and carried the smaller one I had packed as backup.

Please do not offer payment to people who agree to be photographed. Nobody asked for payment at any stage for being photographed.

London
Level Contributor
134 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: photography advice

Forgot to mention re wildlife. The monkeys at Mount Poppa are wild, but you do not need a long lens for them. Actually, when you meet them you will wish you did need a long lens.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: photography advice

Thanks for the suggestions.. Appreciate it..

6. Re: photography advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 07:17