We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleeve length?

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sleeve length?

I am trying to understand what is appropriate to wear.

Is a T-Shirt / Polo Shirt decent enough or do I have to bring a long sleeved shirt?

Can I walk the streets in my shorts (above the knees) and only wrap a sarong in the temples or do I need to wear long pants al the time?

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
16,144 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sleeve length?

Foe temples just make sure the sleeves cover the shoulders-Mrs SS has tops that go down to nearly the elbow.

Shorts are fine for everywhere except temples where you need to wrap around a sarong. If I am wearing shorts I wrap my longi around them in pagodas.

SS

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
190 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sleeve length?

I travelled with a local guide and he said vest tops were acceptable just not "spaghetti" strap tops. Shorts are a definite no but then who would want to with the mosquitos biting.

West of England
Level Contributor
17 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sleeve length?

For both sexes, as a minimum in temples, the shoulders and knees should be covered and the feet completely uncovered. It isn't a matter of what you can get away with, this is what they consider respectful - and you will see many locals visiting the temples to pray, rather than simply as tourists.

Beyond that, long shorts are ok for men, but women mostly have their knees covered. Capri length trousers or a knee length skirt work well . If you want to wear a vest rather than top with sleeves, carry a scarf s a cover up - and prepare to be eaten by mozzies ! Many days, you will be in and out of temples, so need to dress accordingly, but shorts are ok if you're trekking in the hills...again, there are those pesky mozzies ,

The locals dress modestly, with many still wearing the full length longyi.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
71 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sleeve length?

Many thanks to all who answered this question. Any other information that will be useful to my friend and me will be appreciated. We leave NY on Nov. 6th. Are there mosquitos prevalent then also?

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
16,144 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sleeve length?

Where are you visiting-this is the dry winter period and mosquitoes are only prevalent in certain areas but the advise anyway is always to cover up and spray.

6. Re: Sleeve length?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2014, 06:20