We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paypal - don't use iit in Myanmar

West of England
Level Contributor
17 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Paypal - don't use iit in Myanmar

Beware of accessing Paypal while in Myanmar, even to pay for things back home. You may find your account gets limited, and that it will take a lot of effort and faffing around with photo ID / proof of address for it to be reinstated.

I assume you take the same risk if using Paypal while outside Myanmar to pay Myanmar- based companies .If anything, I'd guess this would be more likely to cause your account to be limited since someone in Myanmar is actually benefitting from the transaction.

I appreciate that Western governments want to keep the Myanmar regime under pressure, but responsible tourism is now encouraged. Surely Paypal could limit such draconian action to evidence of a pattern of use in Burma rather than a single, low value transaction ? Even better, when they spot that you've connected from Myanmar, they could warn you that your account will be limited if you continue !

Thanks Paypal !

Mentioned in this post
Tour Diamond
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Day Trips
Myanmar Damsel Travels & Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Multi-day Tours
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Paypal - don't use iit in Myanmar

Wish I had read this BEFORE using PayPal from Myanmar - my account was limited (unusable) for nearly 2 weeks. You also can't access your PayPal account in Myanmar to reinstate it!

Had wanted to book accommodation in KL, as was flying into LCCT around 22:30 (midnight Myanmar time). When I used PayPal to pay for room, it refused to let me log in to pay. (I could not use my MasterCard either.) A day later I received a cryptic email saying my account was limited, and to log on to see what documents were needed to reinstate it. You can't do this in Myanmar. After sending emails & scanned documents from outside Myanmar, my account has finally been restored. So book accommodation for when you exit Myanmar BEFORE going there!

Got these messages...

"Please respond. Your PayPal account has been restricted. Please log in to your PayPal account and go to the Resolution Centre under "My Account" to see what documents we need you to submit. We've temporarily limited what you can do with your account. This means you won't be able to send, withdraw or receive funds. Once we've received and confirmed the required documents from you, we may remove this limitation." Notice the word "may".

After sending a scn of my passprt, they requested more documents explaining... "During a recent screening, we identified activity that may be in violation of United States regulations administered by the Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC). We’re committed to meeting OFAC’s regulations. One regulation is to ensure that our customers are compliant with applicable laws and regulations, including those set forth by OFAC, in their use of PayPal.

To ensure that your account activity and transactions comply with current regulations, please provide the following information:

• Documents to confirm that you reside at the address registered on your PayPal account. In place of a utility bill, we’ll accept a copy of a mobile phone bill or any other official document that confirms you live at the address listed on your PayPal account. The document provided must be dated within 90 days of this request.

• An explanation as to why the attempted access from Myanmar was made and by whom

• Confirm that your account is not held for the benefit of a person or organization in Myanmar

We’ll close your account if we notice any further violations."

Finally "Your PayPal Account Access Has Been Restored. While OFAC sanctions regulations have recently changed with regards to Myanmar, at this time we do not offer services in the country. We look forward to expanding our services to additional countries in the future. Establishing our services in each new country involves complex changes due to different regulations in each of these countries. Our International Team is working hard to expand our services as rapidly as possible. For a list of PayPal supported countries, please visit our PayPal website. Please continue to check our website for updates and features regarding International Membership."

Edited: 07 March 2013, 14:22
Mentioned in this post
West of England
Level Contributor
17 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paypal - don't use iit in Myanmar

probably small comfort, but I'm now up and running again.

Yangon, Yangon...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Paypal - don't use iit in Myanmar

Same with me. Now, I am trying .

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,209 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paypal - don't use iit in Myanmar

I'm surprised that it worked at all. I was unable to access other US money related websites for the duration of my visit last year. Even something as ubiquitous as EBay just locked me out.

singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paypal - don't use iit in Myanmar

Hi ,

when was it happen?

regards,

Nanda

West of England
Level Contributor
17 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paypal - don't use iit in Myanmar

Nov 2012 - no idea if it's still an issue, unless anyone can provide more up to date info, suggest you check before travelling if you think you might need Paypal while you are there.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paypal - don't use iit in Myanmar

I used PayPal recently from Canada to pay for a hotel in Yangon. The payment went through just fine. My Paypal account is OK and I have a receipt for the hotel. I hope when we arrive there will be no problem with this reservation. I will remember not to use PayPal while in Myanmar.

Mentioned in this post
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon Region, Myanmar
Yangon (Rangoon...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Paypal - don't use iit in Myanmar

Hi All,

I just use paypal to top up my skype. It is smooth and nothing goes wrong. I now still able to log in my paypal account. hope this helps u guys.

but i registered my paypal at Singapore paypal site.

Regards,

D9

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore River...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Paypal - don't use iit in Myanmar

Yes, PayPal now seems okay with somebody using it from Myanmar. But use with care. Of course, there is no official announcement from PayPal for this. I am still using sometime while back in Myanmar and it's okay so far. My account was registered in Singapore too.

Button line is Use With Care.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Rangoon, Yangon...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Paypal - don't use iit in Myanmar

PayPal Myanmar

PayPal Account Creation(Fully verify with Myanmar IP )

https://www.facebook.com/paypalmyanmar

Mentioned in this post