We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trying to get to inle lake

M L
Paris, France
5 posts
Save Topic
trying to get to inle lake

I am stuck planning the part of my journey after Mandalay, and I have some questions I hope you can answer!

1. What is the best way to get from Mandalay to Thazi?

I want to leave Mandalay the latest possible. Then I plan to stay a night in Thazi because I really want to catch the slow train to Kalaw.

I have heard that the best part of the train journey is to Kalaw, and that I can catch a bus from there to Inle Lake and that it will be faster than staying in the train.

2. Does anyone know how long the bus from Kalaw to Inle Lake takes approx? And when it leaves?

I have to catch the 17:56 train in Thazi to Yangon (arrival 6:30am).

3. What is the best way to get from Inle Lake to Thazi in time to get that train?

Thank you in advance for your help, I hope someone has some answers to these questions! It's my first time travelling alone and planning Burma has proven to be quite challenging for a beginner.

Also, does anyone know if these timetables are still up to date?

ananda-travel.com/UK/myanmar_bus_fares_uk.htm

http://www.seat61.com/Burma.htm#Yangon or Mandalay to Inle Lake

Finally, is there a good bus between Bagan and Inle Lake now? I've heard of one bus which many have described as the most excruciating bus ride of their lives, but I read in one blog dated Oct 2011 that a new company is offering more comfortable buses for this route. The company is called Ever Sky o something similar. -- has anyone taken this bus ?

M L
Paris, France
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: trying to get to inle lake

In fact, this is my plan so far. If anyone could be so kind as to have a look at it and tell me if it seems all right/feasible, I would be really grateful! As you can see, there are still gaps towards the end regarding getting to and from Inle Lake

BURMA

08|01 Tuesday

- 12:00 arrival in Yangon

- Yangon

- SLEEP IN GUESTHOUSE

09|01 Wednesday

- Yangon

- 20:30 inscriptions pédagogiques

- SLEEP IN GUESTHOUSE

10|01 Thursday

- 15:00 train to Bagan

11|01 Friday

- 06:00 arrival Bagan

- Bagan

- SLEEP IN GUESTHOUSE

12|01 Saturday

- 19:00 bus to Mandalay

13|01 Sunday

- 04:00 arrival Mandalay

- 17:00 train to Thazi

- 20:01 arrival in Thazi

- SLEEP IN GUESTHOUSE

14|01 Monday

- 06:00 slow train to Kalaw

- 12:30 Kalaw

- Walk around

- Kalaw to Inle Lake????

15|01 Tuesday

- Inle Lake

16|01 Wednesday

- Inle Lake

17|01 Thursday

- ???Inle Lake to Thazi???

- 17:56 Thazi train to Yangon

18|01 Friday

- 06:30 arrival in Yangon  go to airport

- 12:15 departure from Yangon

- 16:30 arrival in KL

UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trying to get to inle lake

Hi, we're just back from Myanmar and looking at your plans I would say:

Be aware that lots of tourists do the Kalaw to Inle trek. We trekked in Pindaya instead but you may not have time to do that.

We spent 4 days at Inle - which was far too long. You can do it one/two days easily.

I'm afraid we didn't do Thazi so I can't help on that.

Personally I would avoid trains - maybe do one journey for the experience but they are unreliable and very bumpy. Whereas the buses are fantastic.

Mandalay isn't worth stopping at if you don't have to - you won't miss much.

Hope that's helpful; I don't know too many details about bus timings etc but happy to help with any other Qs.

London
Level Contributor
135 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trying to get to inle lake

Interesting how people have different interests and experiences.

We spent almost three days exploring Inle Lake and found it fascinating - the life on the lake, the agriculture, stilt villages, the life of the people, the local crafts and the long trip down to the autonomous Pao-O region (we had to show our passports to enter).

We also thoroughly enjoyed our two days in Mandalay, visiting Sagaing, Ava, Amarapura, U Bein Bridge and Mindun. But your timings do not really allow you the opportunity to see much of these, so if this is the only time you can spare for Mandalay, then I would agree that it is not really worth it. I also agree that the trains are unreliable.

Generally, your itinerary seems to involve a lot of time travelling and not so much time at the destination.

N S
Nyaung Shwe, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Nyaung Shwe
Level Contributor
616 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trying to get to inle lake

From KLW to Inle lake,can go directly by taxi only.

If you like to go by bus or pick up truck or other, here some informations

Local bus leave from KLW to Taunggyi(capital city of Shan state) every morning around 8:00.Need to step down at Shwe Nyaung junction, then take tok tok or pick up truck to Inle.

Kalaw to Inle is 37 miles(60 km).

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
7,798 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trying to get to inle lake

Yes the times online are up to date.

Take an afternoon train Mandalay to Thazi, stay overnight (guesthouses at the end of the station approach road) and take the delightful Slow Train from Thazi next morning to Shwenyaung, for any local bus or taxi to Inle Lake.

Far from avoiding trains, they are a wonderful way to get around, really atmospheric, superb scenery. A bit bumpy in places but not big deal, and far superior in comfort and space to a cramped bus. And historic, of course, as we Brits built Burma's railways! ;0)

denmark
Level Contributor
628 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trying to get to inle lake

Good to know that schedules are ok. You may have built the railroad, but how to keep the maintenance??? Still loving travel by train:-).

Kirsten

M L
Paris, France
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: trying to get to inle lake

Thanks for all the helpful comments!

I just have a few follow-up questions:

1. How much will a taxi from Kalaw to Inle Lake cost approximately?

2. Is there a bus that goes from Shwenyaung to Thazi during the day?

3. How much would hiring a car to take me form Shwenyaung to Thazi cost?

My plan does indeed involve a lot of travelling, but I can't seem to make it work otherwise. I am willing to skip Mandalay, even though I would really like to take the Slow Train -- but I'm not sure about the bus from Bagan to Inle Lake.

4. Has anyone got any news on any possible new buses between Bagan and Inle Lake? Ones that aren't impossibly scary and vomit-inducing? I'm really not fussy, but I've read such terrible things about the Bagan-Inle Lake bus and I'm not sure I'm up to it.

Bremerton...
Level Contributor
20 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trying to get to inle lake

We flew to Heho and drove to Kalaw last year. So easy, but I'm at the upper end of traveling age and need EZ. I'm going back for 4 weeks in Just 2 days and can't wait. Loved the lake and hope to get to places missed last year. I was in a fog of excitement over the wonders in all of Burma. I'm prepped better this time. I've been swirling in excitement all year reading and planning for seconds. You will love it. We have one train ride this time, but it's shorter.

N S
Nyaung Shwe, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Nyaung Shwe
Level Contributor
616 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trying to get to inle lake

KLW~INLE taxi(saloon)will cost around 40000 kyats

from Shwe Nyaung to Tharzi,there has many pick up truck and mini bus operate the route Taunggyi~Shwe Nyaung~Kalaw~Tharzi~Meikhtila.

N S
Nyaung Shwe, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Nyaung Shwe
Level Contributor
616 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trying to get to inle lake

If you hire taxi for Tharzi~Inle, will cost around US$ 120(2-3 pax)