We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How disappointing... (Hotel prices)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
58 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
How disappointing... (Hotel prices)

I've just done some hotel price research in Myanmar and just found out how expensive hotels have become.

I was lucky enough to go to Yangon, Bagan and Inle Lake in 2005 and always wanted to go back but the new prices are just too outrageous and not worth it.

The Governor's house in Yangon for 600$/ night in November? The Savoy hotel in Yangon goes from 150$/night in September to 280$/night for the cheapest room. Traders Yangon is about 210$ night for the cheapest room.

I don't know if all of these hotels made some major renovations but I doubt that those prices are worth it.

It's going to attract people with lots of money (nothing wrong with that) but they are quickly going to realize that those rates won't reflect what you would expect at those prices.

I'm really disappointed and unfortunately, I guess I won't be going any time soon.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,860 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How disappointing... (Hotel prices)

Myanmar is no longer a cheap destination. Too many visitors for too few rooms equals high prices,classic supply and demand.

My personal view is it will take a couple of years before prices settle down-after the pent up demand from visitors who have Myanmar as their "must go" destination have ticked it off their list.

Once hoteliers cannot guarantee to have full occupancy in peak season prices will drop.

Your examples are for top end hotels-there are perfectly good 3/4* hotels at$150 and decent smaller ones at sub $100.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How disappointing... (Hotel prices)

Everything is going to be overpriced the last two years. I think many of the big travel companies were waiting for democratic reforms an now the are going, the number of tourists rises and so do the prices.

2006 I paid 20$ for my hotel in Yangon, now they ask for 88$. Hire a car with driver for a day was 30-40$, now it's 100-150$. I really would like to go again, but at the moment it's not worth the money.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,082 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How disappointing... (Hotel prices)

I usually travel flashpacker style but this time around, even dumpy backpacker places were charging $20~$30 a night, I couldn't believe it!

The buses and local eateries were still remarkably inexpensive, but the hotels & guesthouses were ridiculously overpriced, even in the less-touristed areas...

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
58 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How disappointing... (Hotel prices)

I don't feel disappointed, I am outraged that the hotels and guest houses in Myanmar are charging three and even four times more for their rooms compared to a year ago....and getting away with it!

One of the problems is - besides tourists, many business people are also flocking into the country for new business ventures, and they are willing to pay these exorbitant room rates.

Although I am a native of Myanmar I have lived abroad for many many years, but often go back to visit friends and relatives, and almost always stay at hotels, so this affects me a lot too. I used to tell everybody that Myanmar is one of the cheapest destinations in Asia, if not the world. Well, not anymore, and I really feel embarrassed about it

The attitude of these greedy hoteliers and guest house owners now is 'let's make hay while the sun shines,' but this current tourist stampede is not going to last forever, and when the bubble bursts, everything is going to come crashing down.

London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How disappointing... (Hotel prices)

Myanmar needs some budget Hotel chains like IBIS or Premier inn to go in. But the problem is Crony Capitalism is still strong and thriving there. Every single piece of land that is worth anything has been booked by cronies. If you want to build anything from hotel to factory, you have to buy from them @ city of London or Manhattan prices. You may also have to give them up to 50 percent free shares of whatever enterprise you have in mind to make sure they sell their land and so called planning permits to you. That's not even considering the "lubrication" you have to stuff the stomach of " authorities " , from tea lady to investment commissionaire.

Another quick solution is to lift the restrictions on where and who can accommodate foreigners. But then, bureaucrats won't cut off the hand that feed them.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,082 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How disappointing... (Hotel prices)

#4 I also found their attitudes very glib about the recent price increases, they'd just say "If you don't like it, you can go elsewhere". (For a dumpy $25 room with cold water shower!) I spent a fair it of time going "elsewhere".

I also spoke to a lot of locals in the tourist industry, and it is hurting them, too. Just 2 years ago, the guides & drivers were paying 2000 for their simple rooms and now they are expected to pay 4000~8000 kyat per night. For them it is a lot of money, and they also don't feel it is fair.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
58 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How disappointing... (Hotel prices)

I'm also going to speculate that the hotel employees are still making the same salaries while the room have doubled or tripled?

It's too bad. I really thought that we would be going back this year but not at this cost.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,082 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How disappointing... (Hotel prices)

Yes, the staff are not getting anything above and beyond their normal paltry wages.

9. Re: How disappointing... (Hotel prices)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2014, 06:16