We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxls and tipping

england
Level Contributor
60 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
taxls and tipping

I am off to Myanmar in just over a week and wondered what thelatest price of a taxi is to central Yangon and is it best to pay in dollors or kyhats, also. has the tipping culture found it's way to Myanmar and if so what sought of percentage do we tip? thanks for any help.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,851 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxls and tipping

There are many threads on both your questions especially tipping.

By using the spyglass search feature above "Tipping" this is one of the threads that came up

tripadvisor.co.uk/…35370406

Expect to pay 8000kyat ($10) from airport to downtown-payable preferably in kyat and 2000-3000kyat for runs around town.

Airport taxis will take $ but local ones prefer kyat.

No tip.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,080 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxls and tipping

I only tip in instances where people who have gone above and beyond their duty, for example drivers who I have spent several days with who have offered superior service. Other than that, a nice "Thank you very much!" will suffice.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxls and tipping

I asked my driver in Bagan this question, and he honestly told me "most" people realize the current economic status and do not expect tips. I, then, asked my driver in Mandalay this question, and he told me although they do not expect the tips but they would very much appreciate it because they don't make much money as a driver. As Maneki pointed out, I do tip people who offer excellent service beyond their duties. I

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,080 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxls and tipping

I travel solo so have a lot of time to talk to local people. I spoke to guides, drivers, agents and hoteliers and all answered similarly to what Winston (poster #3) said.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
19,204 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxls and tipping

If you’re not on a tight budget, tip around 15%.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,080 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taxls and tipping

That's a very large amount for Southeast Asia. It's not the United States (thank goodness)...

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taxls and tipping

River Mekong suggested: "Myanmar people are genuinely happy to help foreign visitors and don't expect anything in return. But if your guide or any other person during your trip was especially kind or helpful, a gratuity would be a generous gesture and greatly appreciated."

I also think that the $50 tip for two days that a previous poster reported giving to a guide was outrageously high, especially since the personal cultural ($40 per day) or birding ($50 per day) guides are getting paid much less. Tipping $50 for two days is also high even for very expensive Botswana (where we traveled last summer) where it was suggested: Guides in the camps – USD 5 - 10 per day

General staff (mokoro polers, boat drivers, porters, bar staff, waitresses) – USD 5 per day

When traveling, we prefer to go with what is recommended by the locals rather than apply our US perspective about tipping. Even in the US, there is variation.

Tuscany, Italy
Level Contributor
170 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: taxls and tipping

I agree with the posts above Maneki-neko, SS , only tipping if you re really satisfied with the guide and he did a real good job. I tipped the guides I had 3-5USD per day, the drivers 2000K and they were more than happy. When I asked the Pao guide if she wanted to have her tip in USD or Kyats, she said: I was so happy to be your guide, no need to tip me... is that not wonderful- i gave her a tip because she was really good and a student.

Normally the guides prefer Kyats not USD

Also if you tip such high amounts like USD50 for 2 days or even USD 100like some posts indicate, it is going to be like in Cuba where doctors, teachers want to work in the tourism section ( porters,reception or guides) because they earn more money!!! I had this experience.

Also I would not like to hire these guides who got such high tips as they expect it from others too...if you like to support the people give donation to schools, such as burma kids, there are plenty of other possibilities mentioned on TA

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,080 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: taxls and tipping

My Pa-o guide for the trip to Sankar lives in a small village and these guys have no way of getting to a bank to exchange money so kyats are the best way to go. My guide was only 18 years old! I asked him why he wasn't studying instead and he said his parents can't afford to send him to college, so he is working and saving money for his education, like many of his friends are who also are guides. I showed him photos on my ipad I took of other places around Inle Lake, and he knew my friend, who is a travel agent in Nyaung Shwe. Myint Aung, the agent, trains young guides for the Sankar route, and trained my guide as well!

The Pa-o guide was with me from 8:00~5:00pm, he did a fantastic job and I tipped him 10,000 kyat (US$11) which I think is quite generous but I told him to use it towards his education. I tipped my boat guy 5000 kyat.

Come to think of it, I didn't tip taxi drivers or waitstaff, only people who were with me the entire day (or multiple days) and went above and beyond to make my journey a pleasant one.

10. Re: taxls and tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2014, 05:15