We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from the UK to Yangon?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Flights from the UK to Yangon?

Hello!

I'm looking at taking a tour of Myanmar later this year (from November into December) but am having trouble finding suitable international flights. All the ones I seem to find are both horribly expensive and include incredibly long waits between flights.

Has anyone got any suggestions of which airline(s)/routings might be best? I'd like to keep the cost of a return ticket below £800 if possible!

Thanks in advance!

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,986 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights from the UK to Yangon?

Where have you been looking?

A quick search using came up with flights from Manchester To Bangkok in November from £520-£600 return by Emirates or Qatar.

A ThaiAirAsia return from Bangkok (airport change) to Yangon or Mandalay would add £100 return to the fare.

You could even fly Manchester/Doha/Yangon return for £625 although the best timing is from LHR and involves an overnight in London before catching the 09.30 flight. The return leaves Yangon 08.30 and gets back into London mid afternoon.

Have a look

http://www.kayak.co.uk/

http://www.netflights.com/flights.aspx

Edited: 16 March 2013, 22:25
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights from the UK to Yangon?

Thanks very much for your advice, Silverswimmer! I'd been trying several of the airline's websites directly, and also a couple of general flight search engine sites.

I wasn't really in doubt that I could eventually get the price down, it's the timing between flights that's now the major issue for me. I'll keep trying though, and I'll check out the sites you've recommended! Going from Manchester would be my preferred choice, but I'd consider Heathrow if the times work out better.

Of course, if anyone has any further tips, please feel free to share them!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights from the UK to Yangon?

Thanks for the advice, by the way, SS - it really was greatly appreciated. You'll be pleased to know that I basically took your advice; I'm flying with Emirates to Bangkok, staying the night there, and then flying on to Yangon with AirAsia from Don Muang the next morning.

I didn't realise until after I'd booked that you can actually fly from Suvarnabhumi direct to Yangon with Thai Airways, though. I'm actually looking forward to overnighting in Bangkok (haven't been there since 2010), but others who want to avoid changing airports might like to try that option instead. The ticket with Thai was about £250 return (based on travelling in December).

Thanks again!

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,986 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights from the UK to Yangon?

I am glad it all worked out. I always use the Thai flights from LHR to BKK as they seamlessly link to their flights to Yangon, but it does mean I have to travel to London rather than use Emirates from Birmingham,only 20 minutes away.

Enjoy your Bangkok stopover,such a great City.

SS

Leicester
Level Contributor
449 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights from the UK to Yangon?

We leave on Sunday, yes!!. we booked BKK return with EVA from Heathrow because its the cheapest non stop return flight from UK ( £585 ). It would have cost more to go via wherever from Birmingham which is where I prefer to go from.

One night in BKK and AirAsia to RGN the next morning. I normally use Skyscanner for flight comparisons which has been the best site for me for a couple of years now. I've learned to check the AirAsia website every couple of days having used them a lot in the past and the promotions they have are incredibly cheap if you time it right, last year I paid the equivalent of £18, including taxes, for a flight from Phnom Penh to BKK

6. Re: Flights from the UK to Yangon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2014, 06:17