We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week in Burma

1 post
Save Topic
One week in Burma

My friend and are currently in Chiang Mai and want to visit Burma. We only have one week to spend in Burma and this is our tentative itinerary:

(DAY 1) fly Bankok to Yangon (arrival 8 AM).

(DAY 2)Yangon, overnight bus (?) to Bagan. 6/13

(DAY 3) Bagan

(DAY 4) Bagan

(DAY 5) travel to Inle Lake

(DAY 6) Inle Lake. travel to Yangon.

(DAY 7)fly to Bankok

Does anybody have suggestions on how to travel between Yangon, Bagan, and Inle Lake? Are there any guesthouses you would recommend? I have heard that it might be best to book through a travel agency in Chiang Mai but it seems like it might be significantly more expensive that way.

I'm also wondering if it is possible to cross by land or fly from Northern Thailand?

Finally, I have read that we must have crisp US dollars for Burms. Is that still true? Are there ATMS?

Thanks very much for your help!!

yangon
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One week in Burma

Yangon to Bagan , you can go by night bus . Bagan to Inle too , you can go by bus .

Since this is in low season , you do not have much trouble to find the hotels. I suggest to book the hotel in Yangon first and book others with help from your Yangon hotel.

Crisp Dollars are not much issue now . Master card can be use here and we have some ATM in Yangon now.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One week in Burma

Hi,

Just to clarify - crisp dollars are still important - we had a $100 and a $50 rejected only a couple of weeks ago so do take care to get new, unmarked bills. And yes there are ATMs but some don't take foreign cards or may be turned off (as I found). But I did use a couple (at the airport and market in Yangon). And I saw them being used at Bagan airport. Mastercard or any card isn't accepted that widely and I would not rely on it. At one hotel we stayed, they had a 'We accept Visa' sign up, and so we tried to pay using card and they said it was not working...

I hope you can spend a good full day (minimum) at Inle - it was gorgeous.

- K

yangon
Destination Expert
for Bagan
Level Contributor
550 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One week in Burma

My suggestion is,

1. Yangon arrival sightseeing by taxi and night bus to Bagan

2. Bagan

3. Bagan

4. Bagan - Heho'( flight ) Nyaung Shwe

5.Inlay lake sightseeing by boat

6.Nyaung Shwe - Yangon day or night bus

7. Departure

No need to book hotels from Thailand. Better to contact budget hotels direct by phone on arrival or mid class and luxury by local agents.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One week in Burma

Don't listen to this guy. You ABSOLUTELY need "crisp clean" US Dollars and credit cards are NOT accepted.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One week in Burma

Reports from people I know recently have said the ATMs work on occasion. Often times they do not. Visa is not accepted unless you stay at 5-star hotels and then they will charge you a 5% bank fee. Bring cash, US$, large denominations, and, as the others have noted, NEW, CLEAN bills.

Toronto
Level Contributor
7 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One week in Burma

Hi, everyone,

I read this itinerary with great interest. We've only 8 nights in Myanmar, with 3 nights in Yangon and 3 in Bagan. I'm trying to get out of one night in Bagan (have to speak to the hotel directly) to have 2 nights in Inle Lake. Failing that, is it worth it to fly to Inle Lake for 1 evening, or should we go back to Yangon, and attempt one night at Golden Rock? Thank you. We are traveling in July, which I understand, is monsoon season.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One week in Burma

It is waaaay too munch $ and effort to go all the way to Inle Lake for just a day. Why do you have 3 days in Yangon? Spend your first day there, then head to Bagan for 3 days , then spend 2 days at Inle then head back to Yangon for your penultimate night before heading home. And yes, you're bound to get a rainy day or two at this time of year. Bring a folding umbrella.

The Hague, The...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: One week in Burma

These above messags have been very helpful. Is everyone still there? I have another question

I've been living in Cambodia for five months and want to travel to Burma. But I'm a little over all the temples I've seen all over this region (I know, I know, Im spoiled) and I've seen Siem Reap. I was thinking of coming to Burma ONLY to fly into Yangon and go directly to Inle Lake, it looks lovely. Skipping Bagan. Is that crazy? And how many days, total, can you stay in Inle Lake?

Thanks for your advice!

Liz

Yangon (Rangoon...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: One week in Burma

DAY 01 YANGON

Arrive at Yangon International Airport and transferred to your hotel or your sightseeing starts with Chaukhtat Gyi Pagoda, through Yangon’s colonial-style city center. Visit SULE PAGODA and BOGYOKE AUNG SAN (SCOTTS) MARKET a compound of hundreds of food, garment, handicraft and gem stores. Lunch is taken at the local restaurant. Complete your day with a visit to SHWEDAGON PAGODA. Enjoy the dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Yangon.

DAY 02 YANGON-BAGAN

After breakfast at hotel, transfer to airport and catch a flight to Bagan. Upon arrival, stat your day with visiting the most significant pagodas and temples of Bagna: including Shwezigone Pagoda, Htilo Minlo Temple, Gupyaukgyi Temple. Lunch will be taken at the local restaurant. In the afternoon learn of manufacturing Myanmar’s most treasured handicrafts and visit a lacquer ware craftsmen’s workshop in nearby MYINKABA village. Later continue to MANUHA TEMPLE and enjoy the sunset from Shwesandaw Pagoda. Dinner is taken at local restaurant and overnight stay at hotel in Bagan.

DAY 03 BAGAN (BALLOON RIDING)

This early morning, your will be pick up at hotel for ‘BALLOONS-OVER BAGAN’ flight and you get a magnificent birds-eye view of thousand year-old pagodas, temples and the mighty Ayeyarwaddy River. After your flight time the experienced pilot will guide the balloon down to a safety site.

After riding the BALLOON, sightseeing starts with Shwe Gukyi temple and ANANDA TEMPLE, with four standing Buddha images. And visit to the highest temple of Bagan “Thatbyinnyu”, Dhammayangyi, a massive temple with the finest brickwork, Sulamuni temple where you can see fine frescos from 18th century Kone Baung era. Lunch is taken at the local restaurant. Sightseeing begins with NANBAYA TEMPLE and MYAZEDI STUPA to see Myanmar’s “Rosetta Stone”, bearing inscriptions written in four languages. And visit MYINGABA GU BYAUKGYI TEMPLE, a temple known for its famous UNESCO protected mural paintings. Enjoy the dinner at local restaurant and overnight stay at hotel in Bagan.

DAY 04 BAGAN-MOUNT POPA-BAGAN

After breakfast at hotel, travel on a scenic to MOUNT POPA, an extinct volcano. Make sightseeing at POPA and enjoy a lunch at the Popa Mountain Resort with pleasant views. Then, drive back to Bagan. On the way to Bagan, make sightseeing in plam tree workshop, making palm juice or Myanmar liquor. Enjoy the dinner at local restaurant and overnight stay at hotel in Bagan.

DAY 05 BAGAN-HEHO-PINDAYA-INLE LAKE

After breakfast at your hotel, transfer to Airport for your domestic flight to Heho. Upon arrival in Heho, drive to Pindaya (about 1½ hours). Visit the Pindaya Caves and Paper Umbrella Cottage Industry. Lunch will be taken at the local restaurant. Road to Inle Lake (about 2½ hours) and by boat to the hotel on the lake. Enjoy the dinner at hotel and overnight on the lake.

DAY 06 INLE LAKE

After breakfast, visit a local market in the Inle Lake region. After that, transfer to the Indein and make sightseeing in Indein. Lunch is taken at local restaurant on the lake. Also we can see the famous leg-rowers, typical floating gardens, local methods of fishing and village life. Visit to Phaungdaw Oo Pagoda and Nga Phe Chaung Monastery. Enjoy the dinner at hotel and overnight on the lake.

DAY 07 INLE LAKE-HEHO-YANGON DEPARTURE

After early breakfast at hotel, transfer to Heho airport and take a flight to Yangon. After arrival at Yangon, lunch will be taken at the local restaurant. And visit in Yangon for your individual interest. Then, transfer to the Yangon International Airport for your departure flight.

you must book the hotel before you come to be secure.

Thanks for sharing

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One week in Burma

Hi Liz

Fly to Yangon & catch a flight the next day to Heho. I'd stay 3~5 days in the Inle Lake area if you have the time there is plenty to see.If you haven't seen Bagan yet, you cannot even imagine how it is, it is so different from the Angkor area and its temples.

See my reports here, links to photos at the end

Inle lake et al - the usual tourist route-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294190-i9408-k421…

Inle lake and surrounds-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294190-i9408-k608…

Bagan & Mt Popa-

tripadvisor.com/…30976893

Seeing Bagan for a second time-

tripadvisor.com/…46808162