We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccinations, Immunizations

florida
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Topic
Vaccinations, Immunizations

We are planning to visit Myanmar in May of next year. Are there any precautions that we should take as far as vaccinations or immunizations needed. Have there been any problems with yellow fever, malaria or any other diseases. We are planning to visit Yangon, Bagan, Inle, including outdoor visits via pony carts to some markets, etc. Should we be concerned?

Thank you.

Pantin, France
Destination Expert
for Myanmar
Level Contributor
824 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaccinations, Immunizations

I did some trekking in Inle lake and of course the other destinations above, there is no concern for the diseases you mentioned.

Just take some usual tablets for flu, diarrhea in case.

May will be the beginning of rainy season, bring good shoes, rain coats and sun cream also.

Edited: 23 June 2013, 18:35
florida
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaccinations, Immunizations

Thank you very much.

London
Level Contributor
977 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaccinations, Immunizations

Look on some medical sites such as the CDC if you want useful advise on this topic. The whole of Burma is shown as a Malaria area in the maps I have seen and you intend to visit sites on Lakes and rivers during the rainy season...There are other endemic diseases in the country and also remember the medical services are very third world / non existent. In short please get proper medical advice.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vaccinations, Immunizations

Hi there,

For the most accurate information about immunisations etc see your own doctor before you leave. They will know your specific health needs and can advise accordingly. Advise on this forum is just from travelers who may not have the most correct information.

But having said that, I would say you should have Hip. A as a minimum. Also do take the usual pain relievers and something like Buscopan in case you have a tummy problem - it's not recommended to take tables to stop diarrhea (unless you have to fly etc) as it's best to let it go through you so any bugs exit your system fast. Do take re-hydration tables (i.e. that you can add to water). Were there in May this year and it is very hot so sun screen, hydration and maybe an umbrella for extra shade are highly recommended.

Hope this helps,

- K

florida
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vaccinations, Immunizations

If we just stay in the Yangon area, do you think we will still have any real exposure to malaria, yellow fever, etc.?

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,184 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vaccinations, Immunizations

Yangon area-No

This is a useful site

fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/asia-%28eas…

florida
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vaccinations, Immunizations

Again, thank you so much.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vaccinations, Immunizations

Bring bug repellent and to further keep the sun and bugs off of you, wear hats, long sleeves (if tolerable) and long pants. ( It is wise to dress modestly in Myanmar anyhow!)

I spend many days trekking in the mountain forests/jungles on my last visit and did not need any malaria or dehydration tablets. I brought along plenty of water and ate nutritionally-balanced meals so I was fine.

9. Re: Vaccinations, Immunizations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2014, 05:17