We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Insurance in Myanmar???

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Insurance in Myanmar???

Due to the "do not travel" warnings to some parts of Myanmar, I thought that I would check with a couple of travel insurance companies, including worldnomads, to see if I could get cover in Myanmar. I intend to travel in Feb 2014.

This was the response from both.... "We don’t want you to put yourself at needless risk (not even for a great travel tale), so your policy won’t cover you at all if the country or region you want to travel to has a ‘Do Not Travel’ warning in place as advised by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT)"

So I assume one of three things:

Either people are travelling without insurance?

Or perhaps they are buying insurance and not realising that they are not covered?

Or they have found a company who will cover Myanmar and other similar countries.

Could someone please let me know if they have found appropriate cover.

Cheers

London, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Travel Insurance in Myanmar???

does anyone know any travel insurance companies (UK) that will cover domestic flights internall in Burma with Air KBZ. I have travel insurance already for my trip to Burma in April but have found out that I am not covered on any of the domestic flights. Thanks

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,022 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Travel Insurance in Myanmar???

I am astonished that your Insurance Company has even heard of Myanmar,never mind AirKBZ

(-:

I have been travelling to Myanmar for 18 years and have never had cover restricted-I have checked the T&C of my Insurer and there are no territorial or named airline restrictions.I am aware of British travellers who have claimed successfully on their travel health insurance,including repatriation from Yangon to a Bangkok hospital.

My Insurance is through AXA Travel Insurance through NatWest.

SS

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Travel Insurance in Myanmar???

Did you ever get any answers on this one?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Travel Insurance in Myanmar???

Hi Fluffy.

I was able to get travel insurance as long as I didn't visit the areas that had a Do Not Travel warning

Cheers

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Travel Insurance in Myanmar???

Ok, thanks. I will try different insurers again.

16. Re: Travel Insurance in Myanmar???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2016, 07:16