We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do we book hotel in Yangon or Mandalay?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
How do we book hotel in Yangon or Mandalay?

Hi all,

Do we book hotel upon arrival or we can safely book online?

Is it better if we book via Tour Agent or directly from the hotel upon arrival or online.

Please advise. Thank you.

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How do we book hotel in Yangon or Mandalay?

When will you come. That is important. If you will come peakseason ( 5.10.13~22.10.13/ 25.12.13~4.1.14 ) you need book online early . Other time ,when you arrive Yangon,you can book via Tour Agent.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do we book hotel in Yangon or Mandalay?

If you come in high season and look for a reasonable priced and nice budget hotel I would advice booking ahead. We did that for November 2012 and I was happy that we had everything booked in advance. All hotels were booked a few months in advance. Even then we got often the answer "fully booked". Normally we don't do that in Southeast Asia. We booked with the hotels directly by mail or phone. Only for Mandalay we used a local agent as all hotels I contacted answered me with fully booked.

One hotel we stayed in Yangon was so horrible that we searched for another one for when we were returning to Yangon 5 days later. We found one but payed double the price (50 instead of 25 dollar).

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,947 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do we book hotel in Yangon or Mandalay?

I found Agoda was a great option for booking accommodation when we travelled through Myanmar as we could use a credit card and this freed up our cash.

Book well ahead if you are travelling in peak season otherwise you can either use an online booking site like Agoda which is very reliable OR have some hotels shortlisted and ask your hotel in Myanmar to ring and book for you.

We travelled in low season, we only booked our first place in advance before we left for our trip and then booked everything else via Agoda (except one place) a day or two ahead. We compared prices with agoda and by booking direct with hotels and found Agoda were cheaper every time except for once when the hotel offered a special deal due to the fact it was quiet.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,512 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do we book hotel in Yangon or Mandalay?

A recent post from a traveller said that the prices he got from his travel agent were substantially cheaper than Agoda so it is worth also getting a quote from a Agent in Myanmar first, although it is unlikely you will be able to pay by CC.

SS

bt7
San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
41 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do we book hotel in Yangon or Mandalay?

I was in Myanmar a few weeks ago and I booked all hotels in advance via Agoda (for Yangon, Bagan, Inle Lake, Mandalay, and Pyin Oo Lwin). That generally worked out fine, though when I decided to shorten a stay by two nights in Mandalay I had a lot of trouble getting just a partial refund. The hotel said they wouldn't issue any refunds for online bookings, so I contacted Agoda and they contacted the hotel and worked out a refund for one of the nights.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do we book hotel in Yangon or Mandalay?

I'll be travelling peak season and am currently booking hotels for Myanmar. A couple I have booked with Agoda and a couple I have booked by email or phone directly to the hotel. One of the hotels that I booked directly required me to pay using Western Union transfer which adds a large fee.

I have also booked flights and balloon ride etc through an agent, which of course required a deposit and another fee to transfer money to a foreign bank.

Of course there's risks with transfers but with if you use Agoda or similar sites, it's a safer way to go

Wellington
Level Contributor
539 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do we book hotel in Yangon or Mandalay?

Just planning a trip to Myanmar, already moved my plans back from December to October because accommodation was really difficult to find over Xmas. Just a quick question about the post from Win N which refers to a peak season between 5-22 October. I wasn't aware of this, is this the case for all parts of the country?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,947 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do we book hotel in Yangon or Mandalay?

Yes agoda came out cheaper for us, no - one could match the prices by booking direct or using an agent to ring and get prices. They are reliable and we never had problems with bookings we made with them.

You also get a percentage of the cost of your room to put towards future hotel bookings which makes their rates even more attractive.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do we book hotel in Yangon or Mandalay?

Hi all,

Thank you for your reply.

Just to take note that agents including those that have been recommended in trip advisor do not bothered to help with low rates hotels.

Regards

10. Re: How do we book hotel in Yangon or Mandalay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 06:21